Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coccidiosis

Looking for schedule and medication from other breeders that have learned how to control coccidiosis in their pups. It seems every litter we have and outbreak around 4-5 weeks old. I use Baycox but they still seemed to get it or maybe I do not start it eary enough, give enough doses or for a long enough period of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Coccidiosis

We start to treat as soon as Mom starts to wean, that is the big stress that sets it off at our house. We use Sulpha though, that is the best drug.

Cheers, Colleen
PS if your pups go home at 8 weeks you may need to send meds home with the pups as well.

amprolium as soon as they start drinking water.

Once you get it in your kennel, they say you have it forever, and need to be proactive. I have not had an outbreak for about 3 years, but I treat each litter with Pyrantel at 3-4 weeks or around weaning time (stress brings it on if you are going to see symptoms, so weaning is the first stressful time)I always treat every two weeks, or if I "smell" it in the poopies.
I ALWAYS do a treatment before they go to their new homes.

Pyrantel is very safe, a liquid, easy to measure out, and very inexpensive. Your vet can prescribe it.

Pyrantel is the ingredient in Nemex...for worms, not coccidia.
I use Albon and on the advice of my vet, use it for nine days.
This time I started using is prophylactically at 5 weeks and they STILL got symptoms at day 4.

Pyrantel does not kill Coccidia,it does Rounds/Hooks.We use Albon when Coccidia rears its ugly head,usually springtime litters when theres alot of rain and standing water.

I use Tylan powder which I order from KV Vet. For a normal sized 8-pup litter I sprinkle 1/8 tsp on the pups' food when they start weaning until they go home whether they show symptoms or not. I also put 1/8 tsp per gallon in their drinking water. If the pups show symptoms before they are weaned, I make a solution of 1/4 tsp per gallon and mix 1 cc of Karo syrup with 2 cc of the solution and give the total of 3 cc to each pup just like wormer. I give the rest of the water to Mom to drink. For this I stop treatment as soon as the symptoms stop. The most obvious symptom is a sticky, sick-sweet smelling diarrhea that Mom won't clean. I don't bother bringing a fecal sample to the vet - there are so many false negatives and the treatment is very benign and it also works on other bugs besides coccidia - it's a good all-purpose diarrhea treatment. The cool thing is that it doesn't kill the coccidia - it interfere's with it's ability to replicate, so the Tylan also allows the pups to develop immunity to the coccidia. Coccidia is a fact of life once you've had it, but it is very easy to prevent and/or treat.

Re: Coccidiosis...OOOPS

Sorry, I meant PONAZURIL...had not had enough coffee yet!!

WE use to use Albon, but this is easier, more pleasant, and the puppies don't get turned off to hands gagging them with little pills. You only need one or two liquid doses, and that is it.

I'm glad to hear feedback on that, I had heard about that powder and considered using it at times. thanks!

I did have a problem last year, but started using Ponazuril mixed for canines from Road Runner Pharmacy.

Amazing stuff will never go back to albon.
I give it at 3 weeks, then once again at 7 weeks
.5cc per 5 lbs, once a day for two days
clears up with in a day.

does that require RX?

I was going to ask the same thing. Can we order this without a prescription? Do you have a link you can share to their online order page on their website? When I googled it several sites came up but not the right one.

I started using the Corid Water Solution as my pups begin to be weaned and this is the only water they get until they are 8 weeks old. If our pups become sympatmatic at any point in between I use the protocol for the sulfadimethoxine/Dyne mixture and the pups are treated for 10 days. This protocol has worked very well for us and our Vet has backed our protocol as well. As always if there is any doubt and a pup needs additional medical treatment they are immediately brought in for an exam/fecal.

ydes it does, but I have never had a issue with either of the vets I use giving me the prescription
good thing about this mixture is you can order just enough to get through current litters, no worries about storing or wasting. Also the smaller amounts dont cost as much. At first the price looks expensive but remember you are only giving a very small amount for two days.

cheaper source of Marquis (Ponazuril) for preventive or early stage treatment of coccidia
http://www.capcvet.org/?p=Guidelines_Coccidiosis&h=0&s=0
http://www.capcvet.org/downloads/CoccidiaTreatment.pdf

Instead of using the $200 horse tube, you can now get Ponazuril mixed for canines.

Your vet will call the Rx in. Any size 1 oz, 2 oz, etc.

4 oz ( 120 ml) for $157.00 free delivery.
bottle will state .6 ml per 5 lbs - 1 day, but breeders are using it at 1ml per 10lbs -2 days.
at the breeder dose one 4 oz bottle will treat 1200 lbs or 600 lbs for two days.
shelf life in fridge is 6 months.

Road Runner Pharmacy
877-518-4589
comes in beef, chicken or bacon flavor at no charge

For those of you that are using Amprolium (Corid, Amprovine, etc.) please read!!
Administration to puppies is a
practice for which I would strongly advise caution. Amprolium is actually a vitamin B1 (thiamine) inhibitor and it has been associated with a condition known as polioencephalomalacia (brain lesions and necrosis of the central nervous system associated with thiamine-deficiency). Thiamine is a vitamin that must be added to commercial dog foods because natural thiamine is destroyed during processing (thiamine is also destroyed in diets utilizing fresh,
cooked meat). If dogs are fed diets deficient in thiamine, symptoms of polioencephalomalacia (anorexia, spastic reflexes, seizures,
paralysis, coma, and eventually death) progress; similarly, the symptoms may be induced by inhibiting thiamine through administration of amprolium. The effective dose of amprolium required to bring about clinical symptoms of polioencephalomalacia
would naturally be dependent upon other factors including the dose of ampolium, the thiamine content of the dog's diet as well as the dog's metabolism. My concern is not necessarily with clinical
symptoms developing (although it certainly is possible), but the potential for subclinical damage (with regard to CNS development if
thiamine content falls below daily requirements for growing puppies). The other concern is spiking water with sugar (Wow! The recommended sugar content is greater than 5%: a standard laboratory
animal recommendation). This practice is often used in research animals to encourage drinking (not just to mask taste) of water laced with drugs for the purpose of orally medicating the animals.
Two problems occur with this method: 1) one can never be sure of how much each animal is ingesting (therefore, one animal may get a
whopping dose and the next animal may get very little); 2) the animals usually go on to develop diabetic symptoms (at 5% content,
laboratory mice begin losing hair and demonstrating atopy within about 4 weeks of drinking sugar water).

Given that amprolium therapy does not have any specific advantages over other anti-coccidial agents (with regard to reducing shedding of cysts or having reduced risk for inducing or encountering
coccidial resistance), treatment with one of the safer alternatives would be recommended as a frontline strategy. If these safer
treatments fail, then amprolium may be considered if benefits are likely to exceed the risks (if the litter is succumbing to coccidia and no safer drug has been effective…).

while raising meat goats over the past 15 years in hot southern states, coccidia can be one of the biggest battles in a herd.
stock water treatments are the only possible way to hope all animals are getting medications daily.

Corid has always been considered very dangerous because the vitamin B1 (thiamine) inhibitor issue. In a goat it is called Goat polio with same syptoms described above.

there are plently of alternatives out there to choose from, stay clear of meds that have proven to be damaging in large livestock and you want to use it on a small puppy.

I would totally agree if you are not using it as prescribed or as I am which is advised by my Vet then do not use it. The precautions when not using it properly are right on the Corid bottle. Since we use a receipe to ensure we are not giving our pups to much we have not had any problems with the litters we have raised on it.

Eagle Pack Holistic Solutions. It's the best.

I look at the calendar and anticipate the day most of the pups are going home. I count back 30 days from then. This will take you to just after you start weaning. 10 days of Albon, 10 days off, 10 more days of Albon.

What is Eagle Pack holistic solutiions, where do you get it,how do you use it, how well does it work and what does it cost?

breeder
What is Eagle Pack holistic solutiions, where do you get it,how do you use it, how well does it work and what does it cost?

Any place that sells Eagle Pack food should carry Holistic Solution. It works very well, just sprinkle a little on their food, mine cleared up in one day. It cost me $7.99. Here's the website www.eaglepack.com

Has anyone tried Baycoxon their puppies? And if you have what age do you start, how much do you give, and how long?