Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
first food allergy

I seem to have my first dog with a food allergy. Came to me 4 yrs old, with dirty ears, slightly dry skin. Put her on my regular food (ProPlan). Skin did not improve. Treated ears (yeast infection). Switched to proplan performance to get more fat in her diet. She started blowing coat almost immediately and ears got gunky again. The insides of her ears are dry, flaky, almost peeling.

Another trip to the vet. After checking for demodex (negative and she is on Interceptor anyway), we decided food was the culprit. Put her on ProPlan sensitive skin and stomach that is salmon based.

Just wondering how long it will take to see results, if anyone else has had issues with ProPlan (I have fed it for 20+ years with excellent results).

Final question. Assuming we get the allergy under control and ears cleared up, how many of you have bred a dog like this? What was the outcome? Were the pups also sensitive to certain foods?

Thanks. You can answer privately if you like.

MK

Re: first food allergy

I can't help with the breeding question, but our Caleb had similar issues, even on the Pro Plan Selects Salmon. Turns out his issue is beef. Even tho the PP Selects isn't beef based, it has animal fat in it (doesn't specify what kind of animal).

To answer how long it will take to see results, my understanding is it could take 3 months or more. I saw a fairly quick change in Caleb's ears after switiching him to Natural Balance LID Venison & Sweet Potato, tho. I now rotate through all three of the Natural Balance LID diets

If the dog has gunky ears you might try treating her for systemic yeast infection and see if that does the trick, she may not have a allergy to food at all.
Aloha,
Jackie

I have heard this mentioned before, but not sure what you treat with--an antifungal of some sort that is ingested? Do you have a drug name?

Thanks.

MK

had some issues with one of my boys...I now feed grain free Taste of the wild roasted venison and bison. He is doing well no more yucky ears and no more itchies! Also feed grain free treats...
Another good food to try is California Natural..it has very limited ingredients and easier to determine what exactly they are allergic to.
Good Luck!!!

Ketoconozole is what you should ask you vet to put the dog on, it is a presciption drug and goes by weight, just make sure they give you enough to dose her for 4 weeks, any less and you won't get rid of the problem. I've told several people to use this drug and their dogs are fine now, thanks to Joan McInnis who's vet treated my dog who had years of it when she went up to NJ to have a litter for her!
Aloha,
Jackie

MK
I have heard this mentioned before, but not sure what you treat with--an antifungal of some sort that is ingested? Do you have a drug name?

Thanks.

MK

Yes, Keto is correct. It has helped my girl extremely well. However, she was given a 2 week dose instead of 4 weeks. This is interesting because her symptoms are beginning to return. Hummm. Maybe should try 4 weeks? Didn't know this. Thanks.

According to Joan's vet she said it had to be the full 4 weeks for it to work and stay working, my girls symptoms have not returned and she's been home almost a year now.
Aloha,
Jackie';

BDR
Yes, Keto is correct. It has helped my girl extremely well. However, she was given a 2 week dose instead of 4 weeks. This is interesting because her symptoms are beginning to return. Hummm. Maybe should try 4 weeks? Didn't know this. Thanks.