Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Labrador Breast Cancer Decals, etc. Honoring Anne Trend

I'm posting a message that has been sent out to numerous people already, but just in case we've missed anyone, here it is:

Hi Everyone,
Many people have expressed an interest in collecting money to buy the Labrador breast cancer car decals in memory of Anne Trend.
I just received great news from Elizabeth, owner of Precious Paws. Not only will she waive the shipping charges for the breast cancer Labrador car decals, but she will charge our group only $2.25 per decal instead of $4. That means that we would be able to buy so many more decals and distribute them with the money that we can collect. Remember that Elizabeth donates a portion of the proceeds to breast cancer organizations.
Below is the message I received from Elizabeth:

Dear Rosy:

I am sincerely sorry to hear about the passing of your dear friend. I just wish a cure could be found. I hear such similar stories that it is truly heartbreaking, and makes me wonder if I shall ever have that fate. I hope not, but one never knows. This little business of mine makes me feel that I am somehow helping in some small way. Again, my deepest condolences.

Of course I can waive the shipping charges! What a nice remembrance of your friend! In addition, the cost of each decal for your group of friends will be $2.25 instead of the retail of $4.00.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth

I will take care of collecting the money and once we have it all together, I will place the order so that we can receive the reduced price for our group.
I think the best thing to do is for each person to send in the amount they wish and let me know how many of each color they would like (the decals come in Black, Yellow & Chocolate Labs). I will send everyone their order and each person can distribute them to friends and family in their own area.
If you are interested in participating and making a donation you can send it to me at:

Rosa Harkow
7605 S.W. 108 Terrace
Miami, Florida 33156
Make checks payable to Rosa Harkow.

Remember to include your address so I can send the decals to you once I receive them.
I will collect the monies during the month of July (through July 31st) in order to give as many people as possible a chance to participate. I will send everyone participating a complete accounting of all monies received.
If anyone has any questions, please contact me at 305-302-2472 or at the above e-mail address.

You can visit the Precious Paws site at:
www.precious-paws.com

Remember for those attending the West Palm show next weekend, we will be releasing pink & white balloons after Lab judging on Saturday. Labs show at 10:30am Saturday, therefore we're probably looking at releasing the balloons sometime around noon. There is a Party City about 10 minutes from the show site. I will go there Friday and place an order and I'm sure one of my friends can run over there to pick them up while I get my kids ready for the show.
If anyone else wants to bring balloons, they're welcome to.

Regards to all,
Rosy

Re: Labrador Breast Cancer Decals, etc. Honoring Anne Trend

Rosy,
do you have a paypal account, that would make it so much easier to send an order in.

There may be other ways to honor and celebrate someone's life. Check the laws in your area, releasing balloons is against the law in many places as they pose a threat to wild life and also have caused electrical blackouts when caught in transformers and power lines.

Why not tie the baloons on crates in the grooming area and set up a jar for cancer research donations? Released baloons injure wildlife and create litter.

a much better idea

Be kind to the environment, balloons kill birds, fish and mammals and cause other pollution problems

Please do not release balloons into the air.
Please do not let them get anywhere near where a dog could get them and ingest them.
Use as a decoration, away from the dogs, and get people's attention to make donations.
Good intentions but releasing baloons is a bad idea.

Latex balloons are biodegradable and safe to release. It is recommended that strings be removed and they be released one at a time and not in a bunch. Let these people honor their friend as they choose and don't make statements before you do your homework.

I'll have to remember to tell the next turtle we get in the wildlife clinic that....

We rescue hundreds of birds each year with tangled balloons around their feet, around their necks, heavens knows how many die of starvation or drown because of thoughtless acts. We have a policy, NO PLASTICS/RUBBER OF ANY KIND!

FYI
Latex balloons are biodegradable and safe to release. It is recommended that strings be removed and they be released one at a time and not in a bunch. Let these people honor their friend as they choose and don't make statements before you do your homework.

FLORIDA
372.995 Release of balloons

(1) The Legislature finds that the release into the atmosphere of large numbers of balloons inflated with lighter-than-air gases poses a danger and nuisance to the environment, particularly to wildlife and marine animals.

(2) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to intentionally release, organize the release, or intentionally cause to be released within a 24-hour period 10 or more balloons inflated with a gas that is lighter than air except for:

(a) Balloons released by a person on behalf of a governmental agency or pursuant to a governmental contract for scientific or meteorological
purposes;

(b) Hot air balloons that are recovered after launching;

(c) Balloons released indoors; or

(d) Balloons that are either biodegradable or photodegradable, as
determined by rule of the Marine Fisheries Commission, and which are closed by a hand-tied knot in the stem of the balloon without string, ribbon, or other attachments. In the event that any balloons are released pursuant to the exemption established in this paragraph, the party responsible for the release shall make available to any law enforcement officer evidence of the biodegradability or photodegradability of said balloons in the form of a certificate executed by the manufacturer. Failure to provide said evidence shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this act.

(3) Any person who violates subsection (2) is guilty of a noncriminal infraction, punishable by a fine of $250.

(4) Any person may petition the circuit court to enjoin the release of 10 or more balloons if that person is a citizen of the county in which the balloons are to be released.

History.--s. 1, ch. 89-113.

so they can let 10 pink and white balloons go in honor of Ann.
No strings attached!

So lovely that you want to honour your friend's memory .. perhaps releasing a flock of doves will satisfy all points of view?

Please let's not encourage PETA by suggesting the handling of any live animals.................................................. but on second thought they might actually condone the releasing of the flock of doves!

I want to Thank All of You for your comments. All we were trying to do was Honor and say our Good Byes to a Dear Friend as we knew she would be looking down on the Dog Show at W.P. even 3 days before she passed she spent her last weekend at the show in Orlando enjoying what she loved to do most.

There are many ways to express sentiments and feelings. If balloons were released for everyone that passes away, there would be millions of them floating around everywhere, causing more harm than the intended idea.
Say a prayer, silent meditation or contribute to a worthy cause. JMHO

Yes it does and I hope yours is a healthy one!