Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Champion dogs

I was wondering, the way stud dogs really have to be something special these days to be used, do dogs after getting the champion title really get used that much ? Some pay so much and travel and work so hard for the show title and just wonder if anyone had any numbers. Heard one time that just a few stud dogs got most of the attention. Do you think this is true.

Re: Champion dogs

campaign him some and put him in some specials classes so folks can see what he has to offer. You know it's not over when they have a CH in front of thier name....

I guess it all depends on what you want your boy for. I love my boys. They are my joy. I hope that someday, they will be Champions. It would be nice if someone wanted to use them because they liked them too. But if they never got asked to stud and never became a Champion, they will end up titled in OB or Rally or Hunting, and continue to be a joy in my life.

"But if they never got asked to stud and never became a Champion, they will end up titled in OB or Rally or Hunting, and continue to be a joy in my life."

Same here.

It seems that the BIG BREEDERS are the ones whose studs get used, regardless of quality.
Even the most heavily campaigned boys who don't have an "in" breeders name on them won't get used much.
People like to pay for names.

anon
"But if they never got asked to stud and never became a Champion, they will end up titled in OB or Rally or Hunting, and continue to be a joy in my life."

Same here.

Hear Hear!!

The more letters after my boy's name, the better-any letters before it would be a bonus! Doesn't anyone ever look for boys based on their performance merit? This is my first boy and I adore him CH or not!

NO

Christine
The more letters after my boy's name, the better-any letters before it would be a bonus! Doesn't anyone ever look for boys based on their performance merit?

brdr
NO

Christine
The more letters after my boy's name, the better-any letters before it would be a bonus! Doesn't anyone ever look for boys based on their performance merit?

Actually that should have been a statement not a question(as I know the answer)-It's too bad some boys aren't used based on their performance merit!

Look at the offspring of the dog ..... if his pups are doing well in the ring , comformation or any other form of competition ... he will make a popular stud dog. Also, people will want to deal with an owner that can be trusted to get the job done. Collecting, shipping and willing to be ready to ship at a moments notice.

Who was it that said "A well balanced dog has letters at both ends of it's name"?????

YES! I could name a dozen breeders who look for titles at both ends. I personally, want at least an SH, as I do advanced field work and have found that even the JH is not a reliable indicator of the level of working ability I want. If I've seen the dog work, I wouldn't care about working titles, but usually I haven't. But working ability isn't enough by itself. He has to have the physical attributes I am looking for as well- and the soundness, too.

Absolutely they do, a bit of both for me!

brdr
NO

Christine