Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can one Stud really do it all?

In regards to quality, substance, girth, coat, topline, head size, etc. Can one dog really do it all as good as or better than "Clark". I have been searching and looking at alot of the big names winning recently and right now and he seems to be the Common Denominator.

Re: Can one Stud really do it all?

You live a very sheltered life don't you?
You need to do some better research.
Look at what's everwhere, not just at your local shows. You will find much better.

There are alot of really nice stud dogs out there. There isn't one dog out there that can be all things to every girl. Clark can improve on most of the attributes you mentioned. Unfortunately, there is more to a dog then just these. From experiance, your girl should have alot of rear and a good tailset. If so, then Clark just might work for you. However, do your homework, get out to as many specialitys as you can. See what is out there, who is producing what you like, even better yet, see who is producing what your girl needs. Good Luck.

I would say that there is no one male out there right now that "has it all". I don't know that there ever was. I think that some years ago, we had a need to make more improvements in several areas (ie, fronts or head, etc) and some boys came along and made a huge difference. What I see today are lots of nice Labs and maybe not the need for as many improvements as, say 20 years ago. I may be wrong, but what I look for these days is keeping the balance, nice movement ( and lots of health issues. ) I would hope that we don't need "one dog" that can do it all, that we are working with bitches that we are breeding to make just some improvements on.

Just sit outside the ring at Potomac. The quality of our Labradors is spectacular! The competition is more fierce than ever. We are doing something right! No one dog does all of this, but really good breeders that have put their expertise to work in matching up bloodlines and desirable qualities when they do a breeding.

Can one Stud really do it all?

Re: Tailset - can you please explain, I am new to the terminology - thank you

It is how the tail is set on the hindquarters. For Labradors it should be straight off its back. You shouldn't see a disruption between a dogs topline and its tail.

"Gay/Flag tails" "Crank Tails" "Ring Tails" are tails that define a bad tail set on a Labrador.

breeder
You live a very sheltered life don't you?
You need to do some better research.
Look at what's everwhere, not just at your local shows. You will find much better.

And sometimes known unhealthy lines.

Uh, that would be the "really good breeders" part.

Just curious why people come on to this board to ask questions like this (and the tailset question, etc..) instead of sitting ringside with a mentor at specialties to gain their knowledge and insight? That's how I started in Labradors! It's nearly impossible to truly gain any useful knowledge about basic structure/movement/type by asking questions anonymously on a board, which are then answered anonymously by people who may or may not know what they are talking about.

My suggestion to all you "newbies" on these lists - PLEASE find a real person (or two) who is very experienced in the breed to actually mentor you one-on-one. They are out there and willing to share their knowledge if you are serious about wanting to learn and not looking for the easy way out. There is NO easy way to really learn!

JC
It is how the tail is set on the hindquarters. For Labradors it should be straight off its back. You shouldn't see a disruption between a dogs topline and its tail.

"Gay/Flag tails" "Crank Tails" "Ring Tails" are tails that define a bad tail set on a Labrador.

The above is why you need a one on one mentor instead of reading many of these posts, probably from some "know it all" or worse yet other newbies expressing what they think is correct. Tail set may have nothing to do with tail carriage. Tail set is part of structure and can not be changed. Dogs are born with either a proper tail set or one that does not adhere to the standard for the breed. Tail carriage has more to do with behavior and attitude than anything else. Tail carriage may be changed as the dog ages or with specific training.

I suggest a better way of providing constructive feedback without the lashings.

"why mentors are needed" - I suggest you work on how you approach your mentees when they state something "incorrect", because your approach in mentoring will make someone go flying under the table with the tail between its legs.

No one stud can't do it all. Thats why if we need a better front, we look for that in a stud, better rear look at the studs pups, do they have better rears. Your female may not need a dog to do it all. Just to add to the nice things she already has. Like someone said, better do your homework on some dogs. Lots of places to find clearances on the offsprings, siblings and the parents of these boys. A pretty dog, worthless if it can't walk. And some boys are pretty but thats where it ends. They just do not produce better than themself. Find someone to help you study some pedigree they will know more what is hidding there. And do hang around the big shows.

Movement seems to get lost in all the froo froo pretty stuff. A beautiful specimen is worthless if they can't move correctly. A Labrador should always have correct movement in order to do the job it is intended for. Some of these lovely animals in the ring can't move correctly and that is not doing the breed any justice either. That is where the importance of watching at all breed and specialty shows is a must. A Labrador is to move effortlessly.