Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Kennel Club Lab Standard

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=109

This link is for the English Standard. There are a lot of threads where we argue about the AKC Standard. I was thinking it would be fun to analyze this one. My preference would be NOT to discuss the likelihood of changing the current AKC standard. Whether that can or can not happen will just side track us. I would just like to read a focused discussion about the good and bad points of the English Standard.

Re: The Kennel Club Lab Standard

Retriever (Labrador) Breed Standard

INTERIM (pending review)

General Appearance
Strongly built, short-coupled, very active; broad in skull; broad and deep through chest and ribs; broad and strong over loins and hindquarters.

Characteristics
Good-tempered, very agile (which precludes excessive body weight or substance). Excellent nose, soft mouth; keen love of water. Adaptable, devoted companion.

Temperament
Intelligent, keen and biddable, with a strong will to please. Kindly nature, with no trace of aggression or undue shyness.

Head and Skull
Skull broad with defined stop; clean-cut without fleshy cheeks. Jaws of medium length, powerful not snipy. Nose wide, nostrils well developed.

Eyes
Medium size, expressing intelligence and good temper; brown or hazel.

Ears
Not large or heavy, hanging close to head and set rather far back.

Mouth
Jaws and teeth strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck
Clean, strong, powerful, set into well placed shoulders.

Forequarters
Shoulders long and sloping. Forelegs well boned and straight from elbow to ground when viewed from either front or side.

Body
Chest of good width and depth, with well sprung barrel ribs - this effect not to be produced by carrying excessive weight. Level topline. Loins wide, short-coupled and strong.

Hindquarters
Well developed, not sloping to tail; well turned stifle. Hocks well let down, cowhocks highly undesirable.

Feet
Round, compact; well arched toes and well developed pads.

Tail
Distinctive feature, very thick towards base, gradually tapering towards tip, medium length, free from feathering, but clothed thickly all round with short, thick, dense coat, thus giving ‘rounded’ appearance described as ‘Otter’ tail. May be carried gaily but should not curl over back.

Gait/Movement
Free, covering adequate ground; straight and true in front and rear.

Coat
Distinctive feature, short dense without wave or feathering, giving fairly hard feel to the touch; weather-resistant undercoat.

Colour
Wholly black, yellow or liver/chocolate. Yellows range from light cream to red fox. Small white spot on chest permissible.

Size
Ideal height at withers: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-221/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (211/2-22 ins).

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog, and on the dog’s ability to perform its traditional work.

Note
Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Last Updated - January 2009

I LOVE the statement regarding faults. It gives the judge and breeders some discretion and flexibility and also specifically refers to health and ability to perform traditional job.

Faults
Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog, and on the dog’s ability to perform its traditional work.

Hope breeders are really reading the description of the coat!!

I'll jump in . . . great idea, as long as its a healthy discussion.

One of the things I noticed was in regards to the teeth. Missing teeth are not mentioned.

The English standard realizes that a lab need not have all his teeth in order to do his job. I find that to be of good common sense!

I would prefer a statement saying full dentition preferred. But to dump a dog for missing a tooth is ridiculous. The more teeth a dog is missing, the more I would consider it a problem obviously.

I like the way it references excessive weight and substance but does not give actual weight ranges. It allows people to judge what "excessive" means. Since this reference is a new part of their standard, they are clearly anticipating a tendency toward heavier dogs but are not over reacting to that possibility.

Gait/Movement
Free, covering adequate ground; straight and true in front and rear.

I also really like this statement. Emphasizes sound movement but makes it clear that covering lots of ground is not necessary.

AKC Standard: "Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification."

English Standard: "Size Ideal height at withers: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-221/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (211/2-22 ins)."

The English Standard describes the ideal dog but how can you really do that for height because different hunting conditions may require a different style dog??? On the other hand, England allows the judge discretion to decide how much of a fault it is to deviate from the ideal, so inherently there is a range of sizes allowed.

The bottom line to me is how much different the two size requirements are. And if you breed to the English Standard, normal variation is going to produce nicely balanced dogs who are technically not within the AKC Standard.

I suppose I should do some research but I wonder what the height standards are in other countries where labs are popular??? I assume they are closer to the English Standard but maybe should not make that assumption. What other countries are good choices for comparison that are not geographically very close to England or the U.S.??? The UKC is the same as the AKC.

The FCI adopt the Kennel Club standard of the Labrador Retriever. The english standards use to be more flexible and open to judges and breeders interpretation. About the height the standard talk of an "ideal height" not talking about variations and disqualifyings. I'm a breeder and FCI Intl. judge and in the last years I've observed a tendency to show bigger males and smaller bitches with the result of a lack of type and balance in the breed.

height range
AKC Standard: "Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification."

English Standard: "Size Ideal height at withers: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-221/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (211/2-22 ins)."

The English Standard describes the ideal dog but how can you really do that for height because different hunting conditions may require a different style dog??? On the other hand, England allows the judge discretion to decide how much of a fault it is to deviate from the ideal, so inherently there is a range of sizes allowed.

The bottom line to me is how much different the two size requirements are. And if you breed to the English Standard, normal variation is going to produce nicely balanced dogs who are technically not within the AKC Standard.

I suppose I should do some research but I wonder what the height standards are in other countries where labs are popular??? I assume they are closer to the English Standard but maybe should not make that assumption. What other countries are good choices for comparison that are not geographically very close to England or the U.S.??? The UKC is the same as the AKC.

The AKC enjoys the distinction of having a somewhat "unique" standard for Labradors. Generally, every other country that has a kennel club, usually FCI, uses the standard of the country of the breed's origin and development as the guide for their breed standards. In this case, that would be the British standard.

The LRC of the United States is on record for claiming that the "sportsmen" in this country adopted the Labrador from England and developed the breed to suit their own purposes.

height range
The UKC is the same as the AKC.

Not exactly because the UKC height range is not a DQ.