Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Surgical implants

When doing a surgical, what is the best day to do the implant? I am finding much conflicting information. What should the progesterone read, and does it make a difference when you do the implant whether it is frozen, chilled, or fresh from the spigot?

Re: Surgical implants

3 days post ovulation

breeder is correct, day 3. On fresh, day 2 or 3 is OK.

Cost of a surgical

I am told it is close to $500. Is that about what most people pay?

Re: Cost of a surgical

For progesterone testing and surgical implant together you should expect to pay approximately $700.

I pay $800.00 for a surgical alone, not including progesterone testing.

WOW!

What do you pay? Do you think $500 is a reasonable price?

Re: Cost of a surgical - Move to Idaho!!!

I paid $150.00 plus the progesterone testing - so roughly $250.00 total. Yeah we're rednecks out here - big city prices haven't hit us yet - and I am VERY glad my vet doesn't read this forum. Some of you are paying BANK!

Valerie - Bibsmom

We use both of the two repro vets in Atlanta. The last we used them, one charges $360 plus $70 per progesterone test. The other $350 plus a $75 consult fee and $75 per progesterone test. If we use fresh semen, one charges for collection, the other does not. Our totals normally run between $500 to $700 based upon the number of progesterone tests we do.

We just did a surgical implant this week. Progesterone was 6.8 on Monday am. We did the implant on Wednesday am. Cost of the implant was $400 - that included a computer generated semen anaylsis and tax. Cost of each progesterone (I did 2) was $45. Cost of having the frozen semen transfered to my vet was $392. If the frozen semen is stored anywhere other than with Clone the expense of having it transfered will be significantly less. Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Progesterone tests were about $100 each. Three done prior, and a 4th done the day of the surgical. The surgery was $600.

Although Surgical Implants can be helpful remember that there is just so much that can be done with some girls. Do not expect miracles but I hope you get what you are looking for from having it done.

Sometimes, Mother Nature is trying to tell us something if a bitch can't conceive or has other problems. Surgicals help many problems but not all.

In my area of the U.S. we pay $475.00 for a reproductive vet to perform a Surgical AI plus $78 for each progesterone test.

Our last litter was 11 pups, the SAI was done with frozen semen. The time before, a different bitch, we had a singleton from chilled semen for a 2nd occasion. All were done at exactly 70 hours after ovulation. We did another progesterone level at 48 hours with same day results, the timing was perfect on all.

We won't be breeding our girl who had singletons again on the advice of our repro vet. The good news is her first pup has 10 points and a 5 point major at 19 months old.

Recently spent around 800 by the time you added the progesterone test.
There were charges in there for the frozen handling as well.