Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA xray on prego?

Is it safe and has anyone ever xrayed a bitch for OFA clearances who MIGHT be a couple of days pregnant? I am aware that being in heat can possibly change hip readings. This girl had very nice prelims at 14 months.

I also know I could wait. So, biggest concern is the safety factor for the possible embryo's with an xray or anesthesia? Has anyone done this?
Tia

Re: OFA xray on prego?

Do NOT x-ray a pregnant bitch in early pregnancy. You could have done it earlier while in season, although it is not ideal. Do not irradiate the developing pups at this early stage, or even for next month to 6 weeks. Don't necessarily bother doing hip films on pregnant bitch later due to effect of relaxin on joints. (Although we did get a nice hip film on a bitch in labor when we were checking position of a stuck puppy. I always wondered what OFA would have done with that film and the five little skeletons shown!)

Sell any pups on the prelims. If they have not been submitted, maybe send them in now.

Re: OFA xray on prego?

Thank you so much for your answer. Exactly what I needed to know. We'll sit tight and see whether or not she is indeed pregnant. Good idea about sending those prelims in though...