Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy

I wondering what everyone is charging now a days for puppies? What are you basing it on, titles, lineage?

Re: puppy

I've always charged $900, my brood bitches (all 2 of them LOL) are at least CH's with CD's, but I've bred them to non CH's before and didn't change the prices.

I'm in OH.

In ohio , $950 for pet puppies. Based on my hard work. One of the parents is a Ch. , usually both.

$1200 to $1500 all puppies same price show/pet

$1200 -- 1500 in the southwest; at least one parent a champion

$1,000 pet/show.

Agreed
$1200 -- 1500 in the southwest; at least one parent a champion

Let's not forget that titles AREN'T everything when it comes to producing quality, healthy and sound puppies and commanding a premium price for our puppies. CLEARANCES are MORE important to me than the titles! I've been in the breed long enough to know that having a title on a dog does NOT guarantee sound healthy puppies-but clearances are a much better indicator that your puppies stand a better chance of being sounder and healthier than those who come from uncleared stock or from breeders of champions who could care less about soundness and more about the wins. Not to mention, breeders who do not breed as often (one litter at a time) tend to be able to give more attention to each litter and each individual puppy to ensure better socialization and better temperaments.

So just remember, titles do not always guarantee a quality puppy! However clearances do reduce your chances of producing problems. The key word is reduce.

Why are the prices so low in your state? Are your clearances and other costs that much lower than other parts of the country?

I don't understand it and wish you were able to charge at least $1200.00 for each puppy. That seems to be the average in the U.S. I am not being a greedy person but I think you are entitled to that much for a well-bred pup.

Maybe all of the Ohio breeders can bring their cost of a pup upwards working together?

Well of course -- I would think the clearances go without saying in this context.
Do you really think there is anyone on this forum that would breed a champion without clearances? or breed their champion to any other dog without clearances?
Sheesh.

Price has alot to do with the area that you live in. Seems like east and west coast prices are higher than the midwest. Here puppies tend to average $900. I also think that our vet bills are not as high.

Do you have any idea how many breeders are in this area? Think about it, alot of high volume reputable kennel names. Puppies are in abundance, it is suppy and demand. It wasn't that long ago , that a nice puppy was $750

$1500 pet
$1800 show

There can't be that many puppies when people contact me from very far away.
Pet puppies $1500 and show puppies $2000

$800-$1200-Upstate NY

pet /show $900-$1000

I am constantly reminded that I am not low ....but this is a price I feel comfortable with. I clear my litter bills (most of the time) and most families can afford.

Iowa/Nebraska - $800

This is our price for companion puppies sold on Limited reg and spay/neuter agreement. We don't sell show dogs. Price is based off of what our market can bear with relation to the money we spend on clearances, etc. Generally parents are show CH or ptd...but this is certainly not a factor in pricing for us.

N.West seem to start from $800 and up, though I am seeing more at $900 ++ .

Pacific NW (Seattle area) $1200-$1500.

Agreed
Well of course -- I would think the clearances go without saying in this context.
Do you really think there is anyone on this forum that would breed a champion without clearances? or breed their champion to any other dog without clearances?
Sheesh.

Well yes, that's true, but there are many new people that read this forum or casual breeders (bybs) that think they can command the same prices because they may have "champion lines". I only brought up clearances because it is important to let the public know we care just as much about them, if not more, than just the titles.

1500-3000 (have heard higher)