Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC DDC Contact info/ your opinion wanted

What is the contact information for the DDC? I breed conformation labradors but my relative does American field labs. He bred 2 dogs whose lines looked clear for EIC, then tested parents after bred. Both parents carry EIC. He is ethical with selling pups, therefore wants to test pups the quickest and cheapest way - hence the DDC question. How would you handle the placement of pups who test affected with EIC???

Re: EIC DDC Contact info/ your opinion wanted

Honestly, that's how you place. There are always wonderful people out there who are willing to take on the responsibility of a known situation. I am not sure in this case if I would charge at all or place for 1/2, just not sure.

Being EIC affected does not mean death. With the correct education and the understanding of how to handle it you will find a great family. I dont think it's any different then having to place a dog that failed OFA's or anything else.

Since the majority of breeders (field and conformation included) are not testing for EIC or ensuring that one parent has tested clear, I would not worry about discounting or giving away puppies who have simply tested to have two copies of this mutation. Buyers who really care about this certification will be looking for the clearance up front already.

I would be forthright, explain what EIC is, what the available test acutally identifies, including the percentage of affected dogs who collapse, and present the information along with the other clearances. I would tell prospective puppy buyers to keep an eye out for a collapse and give advice regarding the syndrome. Perhaps even provide a refund if the dog collapses, but at this point I'd venture to say your relative won't have a single call of a collapsing dog.

it will be interesting to see how the statistics hold for this litter. Theoretically 25% will test to be affected, but your relative could get lucky and have even less.

Thanks for the above input. We were thinking along the same lines but wanted others thoughts. I found the DDC contact information on a March 20, 2009 post.