Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SMELLY DOG - HELP.

Without going to to enormous detail, I have a 6 yr old Yellow Male who is very stinky. A strong yeasty, almost obnoxious odor. The vet's have tried various and sundry forms of antibiotics and other meds to no avail.

Using different foods as well.

Shampooing and grooming - even shaving - no help.

Tried DINOVITE - no help.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Re: SMELLY DOG - HELP.

Doesn't the "great Dane Lady" have a special diet for dogs who may have yeast throughout their body? Google "great Dane Lady" and you will get her website and it goes into major detail. Certainly may help your boy if you have tried everything else.

I am assuming you are referring to the smell of his coat? or something else, like ears, teeth?

Maybe he is sneaking away outside and rolling in something everytime he goes out? haha.

Have you tried a completely different dogfood? not the same brand?

Is he stressed?

Apple cider vinegar. 2 Tbsp in every meal. It will take a few weeks though. He sounds yeasty. Take him off carbs for a while too.

It could be a systemic yeast infection. Had one like that. It was cured with an oral anti-fungal - ketaconazole

Does he go swimming frequently? Had a dog that had a bad smell during the summer months when he swam alot.

If you've eliminated all possible causes and the odor still persists I would try giving him chloroplyl capsules daily. They are completely harmless and should help reduce the odor. Worth a try if all else fails.

Or try Dermoscent(topical)its all natural and even wet dogs smell like Lavender!Great stuff!