Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ear Sucking........

Does anyone know how to stop my 5 month old pup from sucking on his littermate's ears ?? If I am watching.... he never does it........I hate to separate them completely.......but her ears are becoming all stained (she is yellow). He actually slerps her whole ear in his mouth and nurses on it (she seems to like it ). I thought about trying "bitter apple" but was afraid that it might irritate her skin.........help !!

Re: Ear Sucking........

When he does this, can you give him something else as a distraction??? One of our dogs (5 yrs old) loves to sleep with something in his mouth and when he's in a deep sleep, he'll look like he's sucking/chewing on it. While he will also help "clean" ears after I've done it on the other dogs, he stops at that. Perhaps he's just checking to make sure I've done a good job?!

We have major ear suckers in our house hold. What is funny is they each have their favorite dog to suck on. The 2 Chocoalte girls like to suck on our 2 yellow girl's ears but the choco girls won't suck on each other's ears and then our Maggie sucks on her half sister Lola's ears. Lola is the only one who doesn't suck ears.

I"ve all but given up on the ear sucking though. It seems to be an inherited quirk from what I can tell. Maggie had her 6 pups this winter who all have this same sucking quirk. 4 of the pups ( now 6 months old ) suck on the ends of their blankets just like their mom Maggie and now our Fergie we kept sucks on her blanket at night time. One of the pups has a favorite stuffed animal that she sucks on when she is going into lala land.

To prevent the dogs from getting hot spots below their ear where it's all moist from ear sucking, I will dry their ears off mid morning and again at night time.

I thought about using bitter apple but we have too many ear suckers so I let them have their fun with each other. It's usually a morning ear sucking love fest out in their play yard. None of them seem to mind it.

I had 3 generations of girls that would do this to each other. They were all lovers and it never did cause ear issues so I did not worry.
of course mine are chocolate so no staining.

Have a girl that does this to her momma. It has caused a few yeasty ear infections when this dog NEVER had them before. I do spray bitter apple on momma's ears every morning and it works, but if I forget daughter goes right back to it.

Nothing but separating them has worked here. Our 12 year old boy likes a few of the girls and one of them gets bad bacteria from him (he is a poop eater). After a couple of ear infections, I have had to separate them.