Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
co-own terms

What have some of you done on co-owns with bitch puppies that you do not sell as in no money up front? 2 pups back or more?

Re: co-own terms

I've done 2 puppies back. There is no guarantee that the pup you sold will end up worthy of a show dog or being bred, I felt that was fair for both parties.

If you gave the puppy away as a baby and they raise it and pay all expenses, show it, get the clearances and all breeding expenses then it seems fair. If it is an adult bitch with clearances then you should get more. It all depends but all in all it seems perfectly fair to me.

Is this another breeder or a pet person that has agreed to let you breed her? What are the terms if she doesn't work out either for clearance or conformation reasons? Return of the bitch to you, or placement, and if placed for a fee, who would get that fee?

I've placed a few promising bitches with other breeders to run on and simply asked for a pup in return as they were paying all expenses. The pup had my kennel name, I got 'credit' as breeder, and my friend got some new blood and titled my breeding. My pup back has my kennel name only on it, and the rest of the litter carries the co-owner/breeder/litterraiser's kennel name. In some cases, I've signed off after getting my pup, in others, I stay on. Depends on the situation.

I have had a few co-owns with other breeders come back to me for various reasons, mostly that they didn't look how we hoped when grown. In those cases, I have sterilized and sold the dogs as pets and given a few hundred dollars to my co-owner for vet expenses and entry fees. It wasn't in our contract that we would do that, but had I kept the pup myself to run on, I'd have been out those expenses and i felt it was fair.

It all depends on the agreement, who is doing the 'work' and what you think is fair. Just remember, once it leaves your home it might as well be sterilized as you really have no control. If it's valuable enough to you, I would work out a way to keep it.

Best of luck to you and your co-owner!

I wanted a quality bitch - more than what I was being offered as a general rule. I acquired a lovely girl on a co-ownership. I paid full price for her, and gave the breeder three pups back. (One from each of her litters.) I'm happy, she was happy ... I think it depends on what the owner and co-owner think is fair.

Happy Co-Owner
I wanted a quality bitch - more than what I was being offered as a general rule. I acquired a lovely girl on a co-ownership. I paid full price for her, and gave the breeder three pups back. (One from each of her litters.) I'm happy, she was happy ... I think it depends on what the owner and co-owner think is fair.

In my opinion, 3 pups back is alot when you pay full price. I would give the breeder back anything he wanted but he would never ask for or want 3. I think that borders on puppy brokering and know of 1 breeder who asks for that many back or more. It was brought up on this list recently.

We all have our opinions. 1 back is more than enough for a full price co-own. JMO.

The best co own, is one that is disolved.
Period.
The previous poster said it right, might as well be sterilized once it leaves your hands.
If you can't keep it, sell it. But don't count on anything once it leaves.
If you do end up with a good outcome and get something back as agreed, count your blessings.
But be prepared that it might not work out that way.

The breeder I got my girl from is not a puppy broker. She sold me her pick bitch that she intended to keep, and she did so because after lots of talking between the two of us she decided she wanted to help me fulfill my dreams. I got a lovely foundation bitch who finished her CH and helped start my line. We agreed together on the stud dogs, and she got a pup back from each litter - what she would have kept had the bitch remained with her.

Another breeder, during this time, also offered me a bitch. She told me in advance who I would have to breed the bitch to. This was at a time when semen wasn't being shipped so easily, and would have cost me a fortune to breed this girl to the dogs she wanted. She wanted 4 pups back, 1st & 3rd pick from the first litter, 2nd and 3rd from the second litter. I was not comfortable with this arrangement, and said no.

In my opinion, good co-ownership terms are what both parties agree to, and if you don't like the terms, don't take the dog.

So basically you purchased a bitch for full price and gave back the best puppies out of her 3 litters?
What did you gain?
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for her breeder though. Sell puppy, not pay for food, get her finished for free, not pay for vet and semen, not raise litters, not give up kennel space and still get the best puppies she whelps!!
Where do I find a buyer like that??

Happy Co-Owner
The breeder I got my girl from is not a puppy broker. She sold me her pick bitch that she intended to keep, and she did so because after lots of talking between the two of us she decided she wanted to help me fulfill my dreams. I got a lovely foundation bitch who finished her CH and helped start my line. We agreed together on the stud dogs, and she got a pup back from each litter - what she would have kept had the bitch remained with her.

Another breeder, during this time, also offered me a bitch. She told me in advance who I would have to breed the bitch to. This was at a time when semen wasn't being shipped so easily, and would have cost me a fortune to breed this girl to the dogs she wanted. She wanted 4 pups back, 1st & 3rd pick from the first litter, 2nd and 3rd from the second litter. I was not comfortable with this arrangement, and said no.

In my opinion, good co-ownership terms are what both parties agree to, and if you don't like the terms, don't take the dog.