Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
%'s with Optigen

Just wondering if like the Color Genetics if Optigen has percentages of A's B's and C's from breeding 2 B's for instance? Like to know with a B and a C as well????????? TIA

Re: %'s with Optigen

I am not really sure what you are asking? Maybe this will help?

Optigen Breeding Strategies:
http://www.optigen.com/opt9_test_prcdprabs.html

The enire point of testing is to reach the goal of ELIMINATING PRA.

Breeding B to B OR B to C defeats the whole idea as you will produce AFFECTEDS! No matter what the probabability ratio, isn't 1 too many?

B and C should only be bred to A, period. You still have carriers who you will have to breed back to A in the future.

This B to B or C thinking should be considered irresponsible at best. Knowingly and willingly perpetuating a problem is ....I can't even come up with a word I could post.

breeding 2 B's - 25% A, 25% C (affected) 50% B

breeding a B to a C - no A's, 50% C (affected) 50% B

A=clear B=carrier C=affected

Bonnie

Thanks, I wanted to pass this info on and I have the facts clear now. I can convey info correctly.

Bonnie Anthony MD

A=clear B=carrier C=affected

Bonnie

The later words, Clear, Carrier and Affected are used much more today. When results first came out and in early years, the A, B and C ratings were more prominent.

If you post the status on websites for example, I would use Clear or Carrier today. Affected is usually not seen, although you can breed an Affected to a Clear for all Carriers. I'm sure that is in the low %'s.

why bother?
The enire point of testing is to reach the goal of ELIMINATING PRA.

Breeding B to B OR B to C defeats the whole idea as you will produce AFFECTEDS! No matter what the probabability ratio, isn't 1 too many?

B and C should only be bred to A, period. You still have carriers who you will have to breed back to A in the future.

This B to B or C thinking should be considered irresponsible at best. Knowingly and willingly perpetuating a problem is ....I can't even come up with a word I could post.

Thank you for saying it just the way it is. There are breeders still doing breedings. For the sake of an example, they have bred and are breeding Carrier-B to Affected-C or Carrier-B to Carrier-B just b/c they like the stud dog bred to their Carrier bitch. Then there are the rare few stud dog owners that allow those breedings continually, not asking for Optigen ratings on a bitch that is using their stud dog. Some are in the breed for more years than lots of us are and don't care about the newer testing. They don't and never did care about health, it's all about producing a beautiful, winning dog healthy or not. If the dog is Affected, they handle it whatever way they want. I know of 2 that have done this deliberately and not just 1 time. The stud dog owner allowed it, then he's just as guilty isn't he?

We have great testing for PRA that's over 96% accurate b/c there is some human error involved in any lab testing. We should all use it unless there is something very special a breeder does and takes full responsibility for all that happens with that breeding. That's a rare occurence, almost all breedings should be to produce carriers at the worst and yes, to eliminate PRA totally. Why would we want blind Labradors when we can avoid it or dogs put to sleep because they are Affected. They may never go blind but should they have been bred to start with?

Then, some known breeders only expect hips xray'd and a current ACVO visit or CERF to breed to their stud dogs. No further testing is expected. It's on their websites bold as can be and they wonder why there is a lack of respect shown at times.

We already know some BYB's and PM's do almost no testing for some of their dog. Some do hips and that's it, some only do their best that are shown. It's a mish-mash. Why, when we have these great tests aren't they used consistently? For the PM's and BYB's it's keeping all of their costs down.

Imagine if we had this testing for TVD and didn't use it correctly? We still have many dogs who's hearts are never tested in any way reproducing or known relatives of TVD affecteds bred repeatedly. If I had a TVD affected dog, I would put it on OFA. Most don't, not to embarass another breeder. That's silly and hurts us when researching a pedigree.

Hopefully, we will have the TVD mode of inheritance and testing some day. We will need to adhere to those ratings so we never see that monster again also.

But right now, we are lucky to have Optigen testing. Use it properly or don't breed.