Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Descended/Swolen abdomen - What would you do?

Would like feedback on which way you would go with this scenerio - 11 yr old male with loss of appetite for dog food (will happily eat boiled chicken) that has gradually lost 12 pounds over several months. Stomach appears descended and x-rays show abnormal shape in abdominal cavity. Blood work is normal other than somewhat lowered liver function. No diarhea and vomited only with dog food. (keeps the chicken down) He walks gingerly, so I believe he must have some pain. Would you go ahead with exploratory surgery at current Vet or refer to another facility for an Ultrasound? I'm just concerned that will end up with the exploratory surgery anyway even after the ultrasound???

Re: Descended/Swolen abdomen - What would you do?

Only you can decide what is right for your dog and for you. I would have an ultrasound done before opting for surgery. It will give you a much better idea of what to expect. Sounds like a possible tumor from the xray results,and weight loss. An ultrasound should give you a better idea about location and size. If that is what you find, then you will decide how to proceed.Good luck with your boy.
Julia

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! JMO - do an ultrasound to see what may be causing the problem and if that can be determined from the ultrasound, you can made decisions from there. Hugs to both of you!

Go for the surgery now in case they can get the tumor if that's what it is now before it's spread too far. Don't want to scare you but sounds like hemangioscarcoma to me, there are usually small tumors in the liver if that's what it is :{... prayers your boy is ok!
Aloha,
Jackie

Having gone through this same type of senerio this spring, we opted to do the ultrasound. They will do a biopsy if they find something and usually can tell you by the next day what they find. Unfortunately our girl had cancer throughout her stomache, pancreas, liver, spleen and kidneys. We did do blood work and she also had changes in her liver function level (was the first thing we checked). She lost alot of weight while we were away on holidays and had been off of her food as well had runny stools and some vomiting. Her tummy was distended and she just wasn't her normal self. Took her to the vet the very next day. Sadly we let her go to the bridge 4 weeks later.

So sorry to hear your story and my heart goes out to you.
I went through something similar and an ultrasound gave me and my vet the information to make my decision. It was Hermangiosarcoma and had spread so surgery would not help. We spent the special time left knowing I was doing the best for him.
So I agree with those who suggest an ultrasound.
It will help see things the xray won't.
I was fortunate in that I was able to do the ultrasound the day after the xray.
Hugs

I would have to go with the ultrasound first.

We've had a case of hemangeosarcoma and did the spleenectomy(sp?)on a 10 year old in otherwise good condition. The surgery was very difficult for him. while it gave us another 60 days with him, in hindsight if an aultrasound could have given us a diagnosis I wouldn't have put him thru the surgery.

I am so sorry to hear this. I had the same symptoms with my dog. I went for the surgery, there was cancer on her spleen, long story short, I would never put a dog through that again, she lived 4 days after the surgery.

I personally would go for the ultrasound. While you might still end up with a surgical exploratory I would want to be convinced that this IS a surgical case. An 11 year old labrador with decreased appetite, weight loss, relatively normal labwork, distended abdomen and something abnormal on an abdominal radiograph does not lead to a specific diagnosis (rule outs could include abdominal mass/neoplasia- hemangiosarcoma, adenocarcinoma, lymphoma; adrenomegaly (cushings); etc). IF the ultrasound indicates there is a mass, you will have a much better shot at telling which organ/s is affected, if there is multi organ involvement and if it looks resectable- which in turn will let your vet give you more accurate info on prognosis and life span.
Either way you go, I would also recommend chest radiographs prior to any surgical explore....

Good luck!