Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
blood in semen collection?

It's late and of course I will call my vet but I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on what could have caused blood in a collection?

This is a 2 year old boy who has never been collected, to the best of my knowledge.

My girl is finally in season and I had planned to collect him for the first time when she would be a good teaser.
I am not breeding him to her.

The collection contained a fair amount of blood. It was not bright red but there were drops of pure blood on the sides of the bag before it got mixed up. The entire collection was pink

Aside from a simple broken vessel, which I've had before and it's never been this amount of pink, what could be some possible problems I should have my vet look for?

Forgot to add, there seems to be good motility and normal amount of swimmers under the microscope.

OFA Website Issues??

I was online doing some pedigree's and I always look up OFA. I was looking up a dog I thought had clearances and it said unknown other than a parent. On the breeders website it said he has clearances so I sent a polite email to them asking if they had any idea why the dog wasn't showing up.
Then upon further research I noticed that MY dogs who I know have clearances were showing up with the same thing. All the dogs I've entered show up with no parents! Is this just a problem I'm having or do other people get this?
Thanks for any incite!

Re: OFA Website Issues??

I am seeing the same problem you are, one of our dogs has both parents listed with clearances and another one not. I know her parents have clearances done and were listed on OFA before correctly. One sire is OFA hips and elbows with at least 10 offspring done and he isn't showing up. I even tried his AKC number and says he is only in as a parent. Something is for sure not right with the OFA website???

Re: blood in semen collection?

It could be a broken blood vessel, or it could be an enlarged prostrate. If the blood was towards the top of your collection bag on the inside, then it was a broken vessel. Sometimes you can see where the blood actually came from and this is not normally a problem.
If it's bright blood in the tube and it came out with the semen, thats bad. He should be seen by a repro vet and put on meds. I believe the medication of choice for this is Proscar? It's also a human medication for the same thing.
Of course it might be neither but he would have to be seen regardless.

I had that problem with OFA, I emailed them that the sire of my dog wasn't showing on her page, making it look like he didn't have OFA's done. They corrected it right away, and were happy that I told them of the problem.

Looks like over half my dogs have been deleted. I e-mailed OFA just to let them know. I'm sure they have received a ton of calls. If you haven't already e-mailed them, I would suggest that you do.

Puzzled did in fact send a very polite email to us. And boy were we surprised. The dog she was questioning was CJ who has had his clearances listed on there for 5 years. He is gone, his CH. sister is gone, his mother is gone (who we didn't own) and then we started checking more dogs as did the other posters. Eddie's mother is gone, and who know who else.

Already sent an email to OFA, but for someone trying to research using the vertical pedigree tool this can be very frustrating. Will let you know what OFA says when they respond.

Gail

Tom and Gail,
I just looked on OFA's site also and I looked up Nuggie's (CJ's grand ma) OFA records and those are still posted so far . It has to be some type of data base glitch . I bet OFA will have a full mail box tomorrow .Oh boy.
sue

Or you were not gentle enough when you collected him. Has he missed bitches ? Wait several days, collect again, if same, off to the repro guy !

OH WHAT A MESS. Half of my dogs are missing off the site. Not just the parents. What a big mess. You are right they will be getting lots of mail.

Just checked OFA site, I also have missing dogs.
Just gone and not even a Friday the 13th! I gave them the info on the missing dogs so hopefully they
will be able to repair. It will be fun if we all have to send the info in again!

Companies with big data bases do their backups like clockwork. You can bet they are working like crazy to fix their problems. Once they do, they will restore from the most recent backup.

"Or you were not gentle enough when you collected him. Has he missed bitches ? Wait several days, collect again, if same, off to the repro guy !"

The OP said he had never been collected so how could he have missed bitches? Read the post.

I called OFA this morning and after giving her some examples she understood that it wasn't working. She said that she'll let them know and get someone on it right away!

Important Notice: Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The OFA database is having some web display issues which make some dogs appear to be missing or have missing data in our search and results screens. We are working on the issue and will have it corrected as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

More than half of my dogs are missing too.

Big problems.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This page last updated July 15, 2009

Important Notice: Wednesday, July 15, 2009
The OFA website has been experiencing difficulties from Tuesday evening 7/14 through Wednesday morning 7/15. We believe all the data has been restored and the site is functioning properly again. If you continue to encounter any missing dogs or test results, please email us at webissue@offa.org with the dog's name and number. Thank you for your patience.