Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yeast in Ears

Have a Bitch that is 4 years old. Seems to get Yeasty ear infections quite often. Gets worse in the summer months. What meds? or foods do you have your dogs on if they are prone to Yeast Infections. I think she is loosing some hearing in that ear from years of infections. She is on holistic dog food now. Chicken and rice. Just want to help the poor girl.

Re: Yeast in Ears

Try Zymox...You can order it on line..You can order it with or without 1% Hydrocortisone.(just in case you have a pregnant bitch. Great product

Try using Zymox on her, i've found the dogs with heavy ear flaps are the most prone to getting yeast infections as the air doesn't circulate well.
Aloha,
Jackie

First, I would be sure it is yeast. Have you done cultures? It could be more serious and need to be treated differently. Some bacterias are nasty.

Use the purple solution. small amount 2x/week. clean ears 1x/week on different days

buy an ear scope to keep up on it. A professional scope is best. You can get them on Amazon.com for 25-60 bucks.

Its the best way to go.

I scope first. if all looks good, no cleaning.... dogs are happy with that.....

I can't say enough good things about Zymox. It not only works on yeast infections, it also works on bacterial and viral infections. You do not clean the ears before using it. It couldn't be easier and my dogs actually do not mind having it put in their ears. I keep both formulas on hand, but use the one without hydrocortisone on pregnant girls.

Another big thumbs up for Zymox....just do exactly what the label says.....it is incredible stuff. I used to use the purple stuff but what I like about Zymox is that is doesn't tinker with the pH of the ear....so there is no re-adjusting of the pH after the infection is gone...get some and give it the suggested two weeks...once daily....so easy & doesn't even hurt ulcerated ears.

For future prevention once you've cleared it up: Professional handler/breeder/groomer employed by reproductive veterinarian just gave a presentation to our 4-H club. Told children to wipe out ears with Witch Hazel weekly or after swimming to prevent yeasty ears.

Patty/Snowco
Use the purple solution. small amount 2x/week. clean ears 1x/week on different days

buy an ear scope to keep up on it. A professional scope is best. You can get them on Amazon.com for 25-60 bucks.

Its the best way to go.

I scope first. if all looks good, no cleaning.... dogs are happy with that.....

A professional scope is best left to professionals. It takes proper training and experience to know what your looking at. Using a scope can push debris further down the canal and introduce contamination creating more of a problem. Ears should be cleaned when examination of the outer canal shows they are dirty.

My professional scope does not go beyond the outer canal. I only look at the outer canal to see if there is a need to clean.

Why put a dog thru a cleaning if there is no need to do it? As most of them hate it.

I also purchased my scope with the approval of my vet. I learned from him and have been doing this for years.

If you have ever used a scope you would know that you don't (there is no need) push it so far into the ear canal as to push debri further down.

"Ears should be cleaned when examination of the outer canal shows they are dirty."

I believe that is what I said here:

"I scope first. if all looks good, no cleaning.... dogs are happy with that....."

If you are looking at the outer canal then you don't need a scope.

I hear you on the yeast issue. We've been lucky. This is the 2nd bout of yeast in 2 years my 4+ choc. boy. It has its own unique "fragrance." I knew something was up when he had a full-blown interdigital cyst, again! Tried reg vet. and antibiotics to clear up cyst. Went to Vet Derm. and put him on Ketoconazole 200 mg 1/day for 45 days then low dose, 1 tab 3x's week. I'm also putting 8-10 drops Tresaderm in each ear. I've read thyroid can play a part in yeast infections, vet agreed. Had blood checked and thyroid absolutely perfect! I feed him Cal. Nat. Herring and sweet potato. NO treats with any grains, soy, malt, animal protein, etc. He gets and LOVES fresh veggies and fruit as treats. Good luck with your girl. It can be frustrating but well worth going the professional route to get this cleared up.

just me

Forgive me, I should have been clearer. I do look "into" the ear but as we all know we can't see "around the bend" into the far inner canal. I thought that was what you were referring to by outer canal - what can be seen with a scope.

You would be surprised when the "outer" canal looks clean to the naked eye, how much gunk can actually be in the inner canal and left there to cause issues.

My point is if you learn what you are looking at, or for, from your vet, (when the vet finds an infection ask to look thru his scope) scoping the ears at home on a regular basis can catch a problem early on, prevent an infection and results in much less stress or pain for the dog.

just me

I would think the same thing. As far as I know, there's an outer, middle and inner ear canal. I would be afraid to address more than the outer ear with a scope. If I can't treat an ear infection or problem easily, off to the vet we go for a cleaning and medication.

So what does the average person look at with a professional scope? Can you see and know how to identify a middle ear infection from what your vet taught you or are you just looking at the outer ear canal magnfied?

Actually, my dogs especially the boys love having their ears cleaned. I start handling them from a young age, same with nails & clipping.

I'm rather confused regarding the use for a professional scope by a non medical person. My vet always tells me not to go to far in the ear when it comes to cleaning and I listen to him.

Any one else have dogs that happily moan when putting medication in the ear or during a cleaning. Mine do, they love it.

I will second the Xymox. Best product I've tried for sure. At least try it. Easy to find on-line.

Sorry, spelling wrong. It is Zymox,

Confused
just me

I would think the same thing. As far as I know, there's an outer, middle and inner ear canal. I would be afraid to address more than the outer ear with a scope. If I can't treat an ear infection or problem easily, off to the vet we go for a cleaning and medication.

So what does the average person look at with a professional scope? Can you see and know how to identify a middle ear infection from what your vet taught you or are you just looking at the outer ear canal magnfied?

Actually, my dogs especially the boys love having their ears cleaned. I start handling them from a young age, same with nails & clipping.

I'm rather confused regarding the use for a professional scope by a non medical person. My vet always tells me not to go to far in the ear when it comes to cleaning and I listen to him.

Any one else have dogs that happily moan when putting medication in the ear or during a cleaning. Mine do, they love it.

As mentioned by "just me" being more specific the outer canal does not warrant nor would a scope do any good.

The "middle" canal as you refer to it is easily seen with a scope and the length of the scope will no way go anywhere deep enough to go anywhere near the ear drum so no damage can be done. Nor is the lense of a professional scope long enough to push debri further down into the ear.

If it could do you think a vet would use a scope on a general check up on a dog (not knowing what is in that ear)?

You can all do what you want. If going to the vet and paying them to clean ears makes you more comfortable that is your prerogative. I choose to check my dogs ears to catch issues early and prevent infections, thus visits to the vet. :-)

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out. For god sakes, a well informed pet owner (non breeder) can scope their own dogs ears, catch infections early, clean when needed, without any issues.

I understand people being skeptical, but at least talk with your vet about it.

Scoping is a non issue and easier than you all think. Not to mention a dog with chronic issues that you can keep an eye on and keep in check and prevent using antibiotics or steroids, etc.

That in itself is enough for me.

Anyone can disagree with me. Thats fine, I have no problem with it. I just know what I have done and it works for me