Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Ties?

what do other breeders put on new puppies necks?
What do you call those sqiggly things used for sewing?

Thank you

Re: Puppy Ties?

RicRac - bought at a sewing store, WalMart, etc.

I would never put anything on the necks of puppies or my dogs to stay on all the time, the only time my dogs get anything on their necks is when I take them out of the yard on a leash and choke for training or to a show. Heard too many cases where the dog got hung on something when no one was around and died. I use nail polish on my puppies to identify them one from the other.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Puppy Ties? TO JACKIE

How do you tell them apart Jackie?
I'd love to know.
The concept of putting something around their necks scares me!

I agree with Jackie.

Different color nail polish on the butt, r. shoulder or L., right hip or L.

Safest way IMO.

No collars on any of my pups.

Just to clarify - I use ric rac probably for the first 3-4 weeks to monitor weight, etc. After that I know them and don't use anything.

As Patty said I mark them all with nail polish is different parts of their body for each sex of puppys, ie: butt girl, butt boy, neck girl, neck boy etc..... I am not going to take a chance on another pups foot or something getting caught up in anything around the neck to strangle them.
Aloha,
Jackie

I use a very soft velcro material and use sharpie markers for variety of color. These go on about 3 weeks and are removed as pups go home around 8 weeks.
Easily adjustable but will release if they get caught or tangled.

I just put yarn or something on them the first time I evaluate them. Also, if one gets loose stools. But don't use anything first few weeks. I had to laugh when someone just said they didn't need it after a while since they could tell each puppy. Not me, I can't tell them apart when they leave at 8 weeks. All so much alike each time. Personalitys will tell some difference. Boy things help. But even at 8 weeks I have to do some hard looking. I like the litter so uniform.

To each there own.........
We use 1/4" ribbon, different colors for each puppy. We have done this same thing for close to 20 years now and works well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sampsonlabs/PuppyIDCollars#

here is a link of photos I made for another breeder so they could see how they were made.

materials cost around $4.00 a litter, same collar can be adjusted from 3 weeks to 8 weeks.

A breeder friend said to use non toxic fabric paint.
I put it on the butt for boys and on the shoulders for the girls.
They have many different colors and it really stays on quite well.

I use embroidery thread....it is 5 or 6 strands of thread twisted together. It is safe to use on puppies.....I have used it for at least ten years with no problems......you just have to change them every few days so they are not too tight. They come in a variety of colors.........I think it also called embroidery floss. I find the 100% cotton type is the best....some of the new polyester ones are too strong. If you think that 6 threads are too much....just take a few strands out and make it thinner.

They go up at 1 week. I replace them weekly.

Laura how did you get the photo into the message area??

For the first time ever I decided to use ricrak on my now three week old litter, never have used anything around the neck just marked with fabric paint. It lasted 4 days. I had it too tight or you would think because by 2 days it was snug, so switched again, by the fourth day the ones I had put on loosely were gone and the ones I did a bit snugger were too snug in my opinion. It also kept fraying. Bye bye to the neck ties and I will stick to fabric paint.
Would be curious to those that do ricrak how do you stop it from fraying?

When you replay, and on top of the writing box you see this: Message: (bb code and html allowed) click on BB code, and there you have all the options. Just change the http://example.org for your actual URL address of the photo you want to post. For example:
[imgx]URL address[/imgx] take the x out

Would be:

LOL, thanks I learn new things every day

You burn the ends with a match

I've used ric-rac, yarn, AND "permanent" markers in the past, but tried something different with a recent litter. I used an electric hair trimmer and "buzzed" a chunk of hair at different spots on the pup...right flank, left flank, base of tail, between shoulders, etc. It's easy to see, only needs to be redone a couple of times during the first 8 weeks, and grows out quickly when the pup goes to its new home. And there's absolutely NO chance of anything getting hung up or caught!

I did not enjoy watching my puppies pull each other around by the yarn collars when I first started out.
I then began painting them with different fabric paints. Pet people had an issue with this.
I now shave them in different spots.