Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small

Scenario - Very nice 7 month old male but on the small side. He's growing very evenly and looks like a little adult at this point. Would I be dreaming to hope he still has an another substantial growth spurt yet to come? I expect him to get a little bigger, but since he's pushing 8 months I'm starting to wonder if he's going to be 'enough'.

Re: Small

Can you give us any more info on the boy? Height now? or weight?

I have found that the ones I have kept, that I thought might be too small - have ended up being a little small - just not quite enough. I haven't kept any of those that were a little small beyond 2 1/2, though, to see if they could compete.

It is not an easy question to answer from here. Certainly if he has alot of attributes, you should run on him.

About a year ago, I had a 10 month old boy that I was wondering the same thing about. Same scenario, looked full grown at that point. Then one morning, I woke up and he was all legs and feet again. 5 months after that, he was a full inch and a half taller and 20 pounds heavier, absolutely gorgeous. I'm not kidding, there is hope!

He still has time. One of my dogs kept growing till about 18 mos.

Donna

He's just under 21" at this point. He's also short backed and square which makes him look even smaller, but I'm not complaining about that as he should be short backed and square. It does however make an already small dog look smaller. Not sure about weight, but I can find out later today and post.

Lab Breeder

I have found that the ones I have kept, that I thought might be too small - have ended up being a little small - just not quite enough. I haven't kept any of those that were a little small beyond 2 1/2, though, to see if they could compete.

It is not an easy question to answer from here. Certainly if he has alot of attributes, you should run on him.

That's about what he needs to look comparable to the other boys. Maybe it will happen yet! He's never really been a gangly puppy though.

Anon
About a year ago, I had a 10 month old boy that I was wondering the same thing about. Same scenario, looked full grown at that point. Then one morning, I woke up and he was all legs and feet again. 5 months after that, he was a full inch and a half taller and 20 pounds heavier, absolutely gorgeous. I'm not kidding, there is hope!

My boy was about that size (maybe a little shorter even) at 6 months. He was shown for one specialty weekend, took Reserve and Best Puppy. At 7 months I was wondering IF he was going to grow. Then, all his hair fell out (kidding-but he did blow his puppy coat and is quite naked). Then, his legs started growing! I would not show him right now as he looks, well quite odd (but I love him dearly). LOL I'm glad he is growing and is probably pushing 22" now at 8 months. I am not worried, just time to put a bag on his head and close my eyes until fall, when hopefully he'll be back together and ready for some more shows. His parents are both well within the standard.

Good luck with your boy!

You never know. To put this in another perspective........ My youngest son attained his adult height as a freshman in high school. He dwarfed his classmates at that time. At his HS reunion, several people commented on how they remembered him being so much bigger. All things are relative.

My oldest son continued growing very, very slowly. He reached his adult height when he was in college.

Dogs are no different. Some mature early, others mature late. You are going to have to wait it out.

65 lbs

Lab Breeder
quote]