Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fish based food exp.

I was reading the thread on food and allergies below and some posters say that fish based diets are not good for the dogs. After the PP shredded I switched to the SS&S-should I look to switch again. Has anyone had bad exp. with litters on this or any other fish based food-my girl will be bred her next cycle.
Any input, positive or negative would really be appreciated.
Thank you all.

Re: fish based food exp.

Have used Origen six fish for 2 years now- nothing but great results! Raised litters on it too.

wondering?
I was reading the thread on food and allergies below and some posters say that fish based diets are not good for the dogs. After the PP shredded I switched to the SS&S-should I look to switch again. Has anyone had bad exp. with litters on this or any other fish based food-my girl will be bred her next cycle.
Any input, positive or negative would really be appreciated.
Thank you all.

I also use PP SS&S for all of my girls. I don't see health or repro problems from it at all. Beautiful coats except normal coat blows, blood work is always good, happy and healthy labbies.

I have used it for any bred bitch adding some puppy food before and more after she whelps her litter. Litter sizes have averaged 7-9 pups.

Maybe you're worried about grain-free foods? I don't know anything about them.

I wouldn't fix what's not broken. Advice? Speak to a repro vet to make sure they feel it's a good food for a bitch due to come into heat that you will be breeding.

I have allergic dogs and have moved to fish, first Purina DM then Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato and now we are starting in on Purina Sensitive skin and stomach. so far so good.

I find my dogs do very well on fish diets and it makes sense, they were originally fishing dogs, used to a seacoast fish diet, and it seems to agree with mine very well

Barb

I have a girl who has been on the PP SS&S for well over a year. She just had her first litter (large I might add) and was fed the SS&S during gestation and lactation. I do offer extra protein the last 2-3 weeks of gestation and first couple weeks nursing, but then I do that even for those on the C&R formula during gestation and puppy formula after whelping.

It was an easy welping and pups did well. You could hardly tell this bitch has just weaned a litter of pup, she looks really good.

I have used SSS with an in whelp bitch twice and also during lactation. I did add more protien to her diet by giving her chicken (when you start increasing food during pregnancy) and added fish oil and B-Complex as well on instruction of a repro vet starting when the bitch came in season. Had two beautiful litters of 10 and 11 and free whelped. Her mother was a free whelper so it's in the lines. I wouldn't hesitate to have a bitch on SSS while carrying a litter and nursing as long as it's supplemented with extra protein. Oh, I also gave calcium supplements both times during lactation. FYI - This bitch had also been on SSS for at least a year prior to the first litter.