Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Opinions on movement

I have a 1-year old male who is pointed in the ring and has won specialty classes. Gorgeous head, coat, rear, etc.. Problem is, I'm not thrilled with his movement in the front - he's just all over the place with his feet. Of course as a geeky 1-year old, it's usually not the best, but I'm considering placing him as I consider movement to be an over-riding factor, particularly with a boy. He moved a bit better when he was younger, but I'll always remember the all-breed judge who commented that he needed to know how to move, not to just stand there looking pretty LOL.

So, give him more time or place him now?

Re: Opinions on movement

I would wait...12 mos for a boy is not the best time. I have had a couple of boys from slow maturing lines that really did not get everything in sync until they were almost 2. Is there a reason his movement is off...ie short upper arm...unbalanced rear and front angle? Or could it just be that his body is out of balance now? Maybe as the breeder you got him from to look at him...they should know the line and how it matures and hopefully give you some insight.

I have learned to be patient...it is amazing how much they change from 12 mos - 2 yrs.

I bred him - mom's a champion with really nice movement, and dad is a specialty-winner with not quite as nice, but certainly decent movement. I just wonder if he's never moved the greatest, if I'm just marking time with him when he'd be better off in a pet home.

I would ask the same question as above.......is there something that you can point to that is causing the movement issue(s)? If so, is it something that has been a problem all along? If not, has he just been a gawky kid who always is a little off here and a little off there and needs time to come together?

Of course, everyone has their own priorities. I've seen specialty winners that I wouldn't have kept for myself. Having said that, I have never had a dog who has won a specialty so what do I know......

He's only a year. I would give him time. That's a tough age, especially for boys.

I was just wondering if some sort of exercise (like swimming or just walking) would develop his muscle and create smoother movement?

Depending on what his movement issues are, you can help him "learn" where to put his feet. I have a boy who has been helped tremendously by gentle bike/road work. Also swimming and hills. If all the other pieces are there as you describe it might be worth a bit more of an investment of your time in working with him to see if you can help him.
The hard thing for me to remember is that my boys generally mature at 3 or later and so investing my time in them when they are young makes a difference.
Good luck!!

Agreed, swimming helps boys with their coordiantion and just overall strengthening.

I also agree with Susan, gentle gaiting a few times a day helps them to strengthen muscles at the pace you want him to move in the ring. I do it at a soccer field or somewhere soft to minimize impact on those young joints. My 16 month old's gait has really improved and is now one of his best features!

Most of the boys do take a long time to go together. Be patient, they are just like our human baby boys! Slow maturers!