Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kuranda Beds

I've finally decided to buy some Kuranda beds. What size do you get for a Labrador? Any advice on their varieties - indoor, outdoor, all purpose, heavy duty? I have some mellow, some rambunctious, and the occasional litter. Mostly they will be used indoors but sometimes outdoors.

Re: Kuranda Beds

I just bought three of the aluminum with the heavy duty vinyl as our are being used in the outdoor runs to get them off of the cement floor. So far they love them, I bought the large size and its big enough for my big boy to fit comfortably.

I won a Kurunda bed, about 2 years ago and let me tell you it takes a beating. My dogs love it, especially the youngsters. It is still in great shape.

Mine has the pvc frame and mesh cover. It is the large one. In the summer, it is on the deck and in the winter it is in the puppy pen. They like to sleep on it, under it and play on it.

I am going to get another one.

Thanks to my good friend Stacey G, I have 6 Kuranda beds and I would never be without them. They are the large ones, pvc and I got the regular canvas. They do hold water, so if they are outside you have to dump out the water, but they withstand "digging" in them. I have used them with a litter and they loved to pile on top and sleep.. so cute.

Where is the best price for these?
I have been thinking about getting a few

I have them for all of my dogs. The PVC ones are still chewable--had a couple of my dogs ingenious enough to flip the beds over, and chew on the legs!!

So the young dogs get the metal frames to prevent chewing and the PVC beds are used by the older dogs.

However, I just had to order replacment metal parts for one bed--my dog used it as a trampoline and eventually sheared off the bolts that hold the legs to the frame.

I have tried the codura nylon which can take quite a bit of "fluffing" before it rips through. Just bought a replacement cover for a bed I purchased in 2004.

So they are not totally indestructable, but pretty close.

MWK

If you order directly from Kuranda, you can even have the beds customized beyond what is on the website. For the crated Lab that needs a nearly indestructible bed for at home or on the road, there is the crate bed. They will work to customize to your crate sizes; the online beds are for the Midwest Lifestages crate sizes. These beds will outlast those crates. Kuranda said that they are looking to expand the size lines of their crate beds.

I may have a bed customized for a Precision or General Cage crate. If shelters and Lab breeders can use these beds for years, they have to be good! They outlasted the other brands at my friend's kennel by far.

I just bought 2 40x25 crate beds about a month ago and the kids LOVE them!! I thought I ordered both in the cordura fabric but apparently ordered one in the 40oz vinyl by mistake-I think I like that one better. It's super heavy duty-like an exercise mat. I ordered from kuranda's clearance website-they have discontinued colors, etc and paid $59 each with free shipping. I may get one of the fancy ones with a cover for my 14 year old-she deserves it for putting up with the pups!

If you call Kuranda they have "kennel" pricing with no minimum order. It is a significant savings.

I have had 4 of the PVC (large) with the 40 oz vinyl for over 6 years and they are great. I did have to replace one of the corner joints because it cracked....it was easy to order the part and repair. I just recently bought 4 more for my new kennel......these are the only beds that hold up. The dogs love them......easy to clean and even the puppies can't chew the vinyl.......though water (pee) does not go through.....which is good (easier to clean).

Hi.. I have had kurandas for years now inside and out. I also board here. You will be replacing the actual liner at times and corners if they over time are lifted and allowed to slam down. Your corners can and will crack from the abuse. Dogs love to dig for their spots to get it ready for them lying down and over time, it'll wear thin on the vinyl weave and a hole will be produced.
For puppies and outside use the vinyl weave. Great air flow and water/pee goes through. For inside use the heavy vinyl.
Order the aluminum bed frames/legs always. Pricier but you won't be sorry. You will not ever have to replace these. You will if you go w/ the poly resin as the legs are easily chewed on if they choose.
Size of all mine are 40x25 except one huge one for Noah. My dogs like to sprawl out. However, 2 girls can curl up together if they choose on one 40x25. On the huge one, 4 can get on it.
I have about 16 of them! If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.

I LOVE these beds. I have had several of them for years. I started off with the aluminium ones and now have the PVC ones with the vinyl covers. Well worth the investment !!! FYI, when you purchase several, ask for the "kennel rate".

I bought a few of these beds to for my dogs to try and they are winners. My older dogs started out all curious about the beds smelling them and then slowly standing on them to see if they would get into trouble for it. Once they realized it was safe they started laying on them and playing on them. My new young pup wants one of the beds all to himself and every time one of the other dogs goes on the bed he runs over to try to get them off of it.
Thanks for the tip on these Kuranda beds they are really cool.

My dogs destroyed the corners of the fabric on the PVC ones....the first night. Then, I left it out of their pen, and the puppies used it as a pee toilet. My dogs are.... what's the word?.... special. Love them...

Sounds like Breeder24 needs Trainer39.

Christine
I just bought 2 40x25 crate beds about a month ago and the kids LOVE them!! I thought I ordered both in the cordura fabric but apparently ordered one in the 40oz vinyl by mistake-I think I like that one better. It's super heavy duty-like an exercise mat. I ordered from kuranda's clearance website-they have discontinued colors, etc and paid $59 each with free shipping. I may get one of the fancy ones with a cover for my 14 year old-she deserves it for putting up with the pups!

That sounds like a good deal. I think I'm going to start with 3 to add to my collection of Perla and indoor cushioned beds.

I don't have kennels or runs, just a large dog area & a deck for my 7 mini-horses . I'll drag them in & out from n thru the walk-out basement.

Thanks for the information y'all gave to the OP. Is there an x-large size if 2 wanna snuggle together?

Replying to: Is there an x-large size if 2 wanna snuggle together?

Yes there is an x-large size, I bought one. Although, my 2 do not snuggle together on it only one at a time.

We probably have 10 Kuranda beds, some PVC and some Aluminum. The newer fabric that comes in a bronze color is very easy to clean (as opposed to the cordura). I have found as many as 4 dogs on a large bed - just pig pile.

The new alum. corners are best, to go along with the alum. frame and legs - but pricey. A couple of our dogs have chewed the legs on the PVC, so went with the alum., and the alum corners don't crack.

I didn't know they had aluminum corners - those are brand new! I'm off to buy a bunch to replace the plastic corners that keep breaking when the dogs jump on and off the beds (those 95-lb boys are the worst!).

I just got mine through Romeopet.com and used coupon code "wiscoy" and got 10% off of my order. So far the dogs love it and it looks pretty indestructible. Like how water drains through the vinyl.

I see those beds do not have the fabric's corners cut. I'll try them.