Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hyps again

I just want to learn, sorry:

Father (excellent hyps) x Mother (excellent hyps), all the puppies are born with excellent hyps?

Better yet:

Father (fair hyps) x Mother (fair hyps), all the puppies are born with fair hyps?

I have seen a lot of great producers with fair hyps that have a lot of progeny out there.

Thanks,

Re: Hyps again

That would be 'hips' and it doesn't work that way. We do clearances and study pedigrees but just because you breed two excellent hips does not mean you get excellent hips in pups. Study genetics.

You might find that locating and reading some of these articles interesting as you look to educate yourself on Hip Dysplasia

Easy answer. OFA clearances are not genetic tests.

I have seen dogs with fair hips, and all the way back for 5 generations, all of them with good and excellent hips.

I had rather breed a fair with a good or excellant than to breed two excellants. And that is already knowing the family history behind both dogs as being good. Like someone said, its all a crap shoot ! I would not be afraid of a stud with Fair hips at all. And I agree, we do seem to be seeing more, very nice boys with fair hips these days. MHO

Breeder 30
I had rather breed a fair with a good or excellant than to breed two excellants. And that is already knowing the family history behind both dogs as being good. Like someone said, its all a crap shoot ! I would not be afraid of a stud with Fair hips at all. And I agree, we do seem to be seeing more, very nice boys with fair hips these days. MHO

To Breeder 30, and what would your opinion be of breeding a fair with another fair, both great specimens and knowing the family history behind them.

According to the OFA, breeding two fairs produces a slightly higher percentage of dysplastic offspring as breeding two dysplastic dogs.

What about breeding a fair to excellent, could this produce an improvement to the fair?

Define improvement. Perhaps it would produce a litter in which half were dysplastic and half excellent.

That is what I am asking? Will it produce some fair and some excellent or will it produce more possiblity of offspring with an OFA of good?

what I tell my puppy buyers is I can not guarantee you that your puppy will not have any issues.

what I can guarantee is I have chosen dogs that have at least 3 generations of hip and elbow clearances behind them in hopes that this will give your pup the best possible chance at good health.

Fair to Excellent
That is what I am asking? Will it produce some fair and some excellent or will it produce more possiblity of offspring with an OFA of good?

You can breed two OFA Excellents together and get 5-10% dysplastic puppies. This is not a genetic test.

You can breed two Excellents together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed one Excellent to one good and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed one Excellent to one fair and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed two goods together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed two fairs together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

No idea if there is a chart like coat color with percentages.

You don't breed dysplastics.

Breeder 22
You can breed two Excellents together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed one Excellent to one good and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed one Excellent to one fair and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed two goods together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

You can breed two fairs together and get excellents, good, fair and even dysplastic.

No idea if there is a chart like coat color with percentages.

You don't breed dysplastics.

So why do we do all the clearences, if breeding any hip with any hip you will have all sorts of hips in your litter?

"So why do we do all the clearences, if breeding any hip with any hip you will have all sorts of hips in your litter?"

Better odds of better health with higher quality. I think the point the previous poster was making is that any breeding has a possibility of all ranges of hip/elbow quality. A pairing with better genetics behind it for generations simply has a greater probability of better results and if you cant eradicate something as awful as this, isn't it something to be grateful for that we can improve our odds?

Here is some interesting info on the percentages of various breedings.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=TUFTSBG2003&PID=PR05106&O=Generic

Annie

PennHIP has good data to demonstrate that it can be used to improve hips and is being used as a marker in a studies to locate genes responsible for hip dysplasia.

Annie Hennessy
"So why do we do all the clearences, if breeding any hip with any hip you will have all sorts of hips in your litter?"

Better odds of better health with higher quality.

Annie

Unfortunately we can't say that we improve our odds with OFA clearances. You can breed two fairs and get a higher percentage of offspring with hip dysplasia than breeding two dysplastic dogs.

A friend bred his Excellant female to one of the very nice stud dogs being used these days who is fair. Of the 4 dogs sent to OFA at 2 years 3 of the 4 came back excellant, one good. In fact when you look at the stud dog his family history is very good. A Fair is a pass.

I do not think I would go Fair to Fair. To many nice dogs out there to do that.