Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA, PennHip and breeding stock

For the long time breeders that do clearances not to just pass but to breed better and healthier puppies.
Have you switch - or complemented - from OFA to PennHip? Whatever your answer is, yes or not, Why?
My point:
PennHip is a quantitative and objective method, WYSIWYG. Even when the percentile floats as the breed changes, the distraction is what it is.
OFA is subjective, it depends on who reads the X-Rays (up to a point of course, terrible hips are terrible anywhere).
It sounds like PennHip is way more reliable on getting healthier offspring. Is it true? Is it really worth the extra money?
Are breeders starting to use more PennHip? or we still hooked to OFA because it is easier: did pass or did not pass?
Any comments about the age of the evaluation? It sounds like a big plus to have the puppy evaluated even before starting to go to the shows, and expending a bunch of money.

Re: OFA, PennHip and breeding stock

I have been using PennHIP in my breeding program for 11 years. Long ago, I started also adding OFA and using the two together as tools. I love that PennHIP gives you a quantitative value and ranks the scores relative to the breed. I hate that breeders don't have access to the database. Through the years I have seen the mean DI for labs move closer to the magic 0.3. I don't pay much attention in the % because I feel the strength lies in the DI. OFA is another opinion to give me more info. Another problem is that since we relocated, I'm having trouble locating a PennHIP vet. My regular vet feels PennHIP is a superior method but not worth the investment to get certified since he doesn't even do many OFA.

YBRlabs
I have been using PennHIP in my breeding program for 11 years. Long ago, I started also adding OFA and using the two together as tools. I love that PennHIP gives you a quantitative value and ranks the scores relative to the breed. I hate that breeders don't have access to the database. Through the years I have seen the mean DI for labs move closer to the magic 0.3. I don't pay much attention in the % because I feel the strength lies in the DI. OFA is another opinion to give me more info. Another problem is that since we relocated, I'm having trouble locating a PennHIP vet. My regular vet feels PennHIP is a superior method but not worth the investment to get certified since he doesn't even do many OFA.

My experience is similar.........have used Penn-hip approx 20 times over the past 15 yrs ....I think that a Stud Dog with this is much more appealing JMHO...I like that they do a standard OFA view along with the other 2 views. In a perfect World.....for me.....there'd be OFA hip/elbow and Penn-hip ratings available on the dogs we are using in our breeding programs.
YES......the ability to do pups at 6-8 months is a time AND $$$ saver to help us make choices on who we keep and what dogs we may have to place......I think 16 wks is the age when they accept applicants? I've personally waited til closer to 9 months.

The whole picture of our dogs.......like pieces to a puzzle is clearer with the more info we have to work with. I totally agree, our goal should NOT be to make a passing rating with our dogs........but to be improving the hip/joint health.

I hear of / see way to many ppl "working" at making their dogs pass OFA........different positioning, different Vets, with / without sedation, what is the point? what's REAL is REAL......and "making" a Good rating to appeal to someone is not helping any of us?

I did both PennHip and OFA on my stud dog .. I prefer PennHip but many people wanted OFA results so I did those as well. Personally, I would not breed to anything less than OFA Good, but am not even sure I trust the OFA grading system ... seems pretty subjective. I prefer NUMBERS. Can't argue with them ..

Thanks for your answers. I wanted a second opinion before investing in more testing.
So, have you got mayor discrepancies between the two methods? or they pretty much have complemented each other?

PennHip score came back 90th percentile
OFA Good

Have one that came with Penn Hip numbers of DI 0.56 and then it says the median for this group is a 0.48 and hers was a 40th. I know nothing about these numbers but got an OFA good. So what can you tell me about those PH numbers.

Your bitch's DI indicates that her hips are looser than 60% of the Labs tested (tighter than 40%) - so she would be in the bottom half. Yet she got an OFA Good. And the above dog with a 90th percentile PennHIP number (tighter than 90% of the Labs tested) gets the same OFA rating of Good.

I'd breed her to a dog with a good hip history if she was nice enough, but it's frustrating getting such conflicting information.