Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding timing

I have a girl that ovulated yesterday (Thursday) so I'm doing a chilled breeding tomorrow (Saturday) 2 days after ovulation. I know they say that 2 days post ovulation is supposed to be the perfect timing, but I really wanted another breeding to make sure she's covered, but with the weekend here, the stud owner will not be able to send another collection until Monday for a Tuesday breeding. I'm worried that it may be too late for the eggs to be viable 5 days after ovulation. My question is for those of you that have had this same situation. Was your girl successfuly bred? Thanks.

Re: Breeding timing

You could ask the stud dog owner to collect tomorrow for a Monday breeding. Semen should still be viable for a Monday pickup--especially if you ask them to use Minitube 5-day extender. I've tested my own boys in Synbiotics with a repro vet and even at 7 days post collection, the semen was still at 50% or greater motility sitting in the fridge. With Minitube even longer. Given the info you've provided, optimal breeding dates in my opinion would be tomorrow and Monday. Tuesday might still work, but depends on how quickly your girl goes out. Semen from tomorrow's breeding should cover through Monday if of good quality when you inseminate tomorrow.

I've always bred using the timing my vets told me some years ago. Count the day the progesterone rises as "Day 0", then breed on Days 3 and 5, or 4 and 6. If your girls ovulated yesterday, her progesterone most likely rose on Tuesday. Using that as Day 0 then Saturday is Day 4, which is fine, but Tuesday would be Day 7 - too late. Can you do a counter-to-counter on Sunday or Monday, or even ship Saturday with delivery on Monday?

I have spit the semen and bred late the next day or early the second, after first breeding, with great success.

Our girl was 4.1 on a Saturday. The semen was being sent from NJ to Bellingham WA. The first and only shipment was sent on the Monday for a Tuesday pick-up. So we bred her 3 days post ovulation. We are expecting 7 or 8 puppies. What was the progesterone number yesterday? Ovualtion is between 4.0 and 10.0ng. So it is good to breed 48 or 60 hours post ovulation. I would save your Saturday shipment and inseminate her on Sunday. JMO

My vet uses nmol/L, how does that convert to ng?

My vet uses nmol/L also .. we breed when the progesterone reading is between 8 and 12 ...

Divide the nanomole number by 0.0347.

We did a breeding on the sunday, she ovulated on the thursday. Only one breeding. she was 10.75 on the thurday and 20.5 on saturday.Did chilled, puppies due next week.This are Candian numbers.
So it can happen in one breeding

Shelley
Divide the nanomole number by 0.0347.

HMMM- not sure that is correct.

a canadian 15.0 progesterone is 4.72 american result.

you divide the canadian by 3.18 or multiply the american by 3.18 to get canadian.

As an added note, on all of our chilled semen breedings, we only do one shipment.

I got that number from Google. Ooops sorry! I am so used to my vet doing the conversion for me.
And I agree with the other posters, if ovulation has occured (4.0-10.0ng) and the eggs have been given at least 48 hours to ripen you only need the one shipment. My vet says the numbers past 10.0ng do not matter. Best of luck with your breeding!

Bluesouthlabradors
We did a breeding on the sunday, she ovulated on the thursday. Only one breeding. she was 10.75 on the thurday and 20.5 on saturday.Did chilled, puppies due next week.This are Candian numbers.
So it can happen in one breeding

Most of the time, one breeding is more than enough if the timing is right. With chilled semen it can be split giving the option of two covers. Doing a side by side AI between cars at a show for example, has worked just fine for my girls.

If you are progesterone testing and know when she ovulated, why split the shipment? Don't see the point in spending the money to find the right day to breed and then only putting half the semen in her when you do.