Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shipping Semen on Weekend

I need a chilled shipment for Monday breeding - Tuesday will be too late. Does anyone know what companies do Sunday shipping? Also, what airlines do you use if your only choice is counter-to-counter? Thanks for your help!

Re: Shipping Semen on Weekend

FedEx can ship same day on weekends - it'll be $$ but it sounds like you have no choice.

Or, collect today, get it out today and use a 5 day chiller.

If you ship on Saturday, with extra ice packs in a bigger box, it'll be fine on Monday.

We have had semen shipped numerous times over the week-ends/holidays with no problems. Just collect and ship Fed-Ex on Saturday for a Monday AM delivery. I guess we have done this with three different types of extender and shippers, all were successful breedings.

I also think you would be fine shipping Sat. for Monday. I have also done that a couple of times and was fine. Pick it up yourself at Fed Ex Monday morning. I do not think Fed Ex will do any delivery on Sunday anywhere. Just flying it. The only time I did the air lines, what a mess. Good luck.

Thank you everyone. I didn't even know that you could do a Saturday FedEx for Monday. I will try that!

Breeder
If you ship on Saturday, with extra ice packs in a bigger box, it'll be fine on Monday.[/quote

This is bad information. Pack the box with ice packs according to the directions of the manufacturer of the extended. Too much ice can freeze the sample, especially using Chill 5 & 10. Use the box recommended by the company you are using. You will have good results that way, as long as the stud dog owner knows what they are doing. It sounds like you may be using an inexperienced stud dog owner, as they should have told you about Saturday pick up for Monday delivery. Good luck!

We just had a healthy litter recently - a result of one collection on a saturday- arriving in Canada on the Monday. We shipped blindly with the Chill 5 - not knowing where the progesterone would be after the weekend. The friday prog was not quite ready, the monday was perfect timing and it was here just in case!

Best of luck to you! Seems if it's not the weekends, it's the holidays to worry about!

breeder
Breeder
If you ship on Saturday, with extra ice packs in a bigger box, it'll be fine on Monday.[/quote

This is bad information. Pack the box with ice packs according to the directions of the manufacturer of the extended. Too much ice can freeze the sample, especially using Chill 5 & 10. Use the box recommended by the company you are using. You will have good results that way, as long as the stud dog owner knows what they are doing. It sounds like you may be using an inexperienced stud dog owner, as they should have told you about Saturday pick up for Monday delivery. Good luck!

Not bad information. It's correct information.
I have shipped many boxes with two bricks. It works perfectly, even overseas. The sample has never been frozen. One thing to make sure of is to wrap the sample in material so it doesn't actually touch the brick. I may be doing this type of shipment today as a matter of fact. After two days the box with two bricks has always been perfectly chilled and arrived safely.

We have also used Amtrack. We dropped it off on Sat leaving at 7 pm and it arrived 3 states over by Sun am. Did this more than once and worked great everytime.

another idea
We have also used Amtrack. We dropped it off on Sat leaving at 7 pm and it arrived 3 states over by Sun am. Did this more than once and worked great everytime.

I am very interested in the Amtrack option would you mind emailing me with the details? TIA!

Me too.

I'd love to know. I'm not that far from AmTrack.

What is the Am track web site?