Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Major for Group 1

I've waited 2 wks plus to post this

No advertising just a PROUD Mama braggin'

On August 27th under Judge Marge Martorella at the Central Maine Kennel Club Show a male I co-own with his Breeder was Winners Dog / Best of Winners AND Best of Breed over a Special!!! It was a one point win........THEN he went in for Group AND went Group 1st!! Same Judge! there were 18 entries in Group!! It was the first time I've shown this 4 yr old boy he finished in Canada as a youngster with his Breeder, in the States he has been shown a cpl of times in the past and did well in BBE and 12-18 classes.

My point in this post is mainly to let folks that YES........there are Majors from the classes to be had in Group!! These are my boys first points and I'll continue to show him regardless of the number of entries!!

Re: Major for Group 1

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! How exciting.

Congratulations Bev!

What is your baby's name?

the 94 lb "Baby's" name is Can CH Swentina Dress For Success CGC, we call him Henry. Bred and co-owned by Tina Turcotte in Quebec, she was willing to share Henry with me!!

THANK YOU Tina

Congrats, I never realized you could pick up a major that way!

bev
I've waited 2 wks plus to post this

No advertising just a PROUD Mama braggin'

On August 27th under Judge Marge Martorella at the Central Maine Kennel Club Show a male I co-own with his Breeder was Winners Dog / Best of Winners AND Best of Breed over a Special!!! It was a one point win........THEN he went in for Group AND went Group 1st!! Same Judge! there were 18 entries in Group!! It was the first time I've shown this 4 yr old boy he finished in Canada as a youngster with his Breeder, in the States he has been shown a cpl of times in the past and did well in BBE and 12-18 classes.

My point in this post is mainly to let folks that YES........there are Majors from the classes to be had in Group!! These are my boys first points and I'll continue to show him regardless of the number of entries!!

Congrats on picking up a major from a very tiny entry. Being that it was your boy's first points, there was no problem with him being shown at this show. But, if he were stuck on majors only, and you showed him with an entry of just a few dogs, it would have been considered bad dog show manners by most. Yes, you could possibly pick up a major by going group one from the classes, if there is a major in another sporting breed, but I can guarantee you that if you show up with a boy stuck on a major at a little show like those Maine shows, you will not be very popular with the other exhibitors. It is sad to think that you would show a dog regardless of the number of entries. Most exhibitors would not be that greedy. Again, so you don't confuse what I am saying, If you need minor and major points, no problem! But once you are stuck on majors, and you show up for a one point show, not a very nice thing to do.

Thats so silly. Show anytime you want. Its a sport. If you have to figure out all that, forget it. May the best dog win that day. Geez.

Breeder
Thats so silly. Show anytime you want. Its a sport. If you have to figure out all that, forget it. May the best dog win that day. Geez.

Figure out what? If you dog only needs a major(s)? If someone can't figure out if their dog needs a major only, then how can they figure out if he is finished? What the heck are you talking about? Anyway, the dog that this thread is about picked up a needed major from the group win. Good for him! But, if the major was all he needed, then he should have not been shown. Just a point about showing in general, not about the above dog.

I believe that if you read the op's statement, that these were the dog's FIRST points.

What a GREAT way to pick up a major.

Enjoy the win, Bev.

I agree that entering Shows that are traditionally 1 or 2 points when a Major is all you are looking for is not IMHO Sportmans like......BUT if entered in a show that is often a Major and it turns out to not hold.........I say "go for it"...what happened to me is the reason!!! we got a Major! I've often heard this discussed here and had thought "ahhhh that never happens" ....well it can and does happen.

Not trying to ruffle feathers

Congratulations Bev!

Gail R
I believe that if you read the op's statement, that these were the dog's FIRST points.

What a GREAT way to pick up a major.

Enjoy the win, Bev.

I believe that was made quite clear. The post was not made in response to the win. It was made to Bev's statement that she would still show a dog for the chance of more points by getting a Group 1. It was clear that the objection was to the possibility of showing a dog that ONLY needed a major in a small show, because of the possibility of getting a Group 1. Not taking away from a great win. Well done!

True competitors will play anybody, any place, any time. This is a game. It is fun. We should all want the best dogs at every show. The more the merrier.

Breeder
Breeder

Figure out what? If you dog only needs a major(s)? If someone can't figure out if their dog needs a major only, then how can they figure out if he is finished? What the heck are you talking about? Anyway, the dog that this thread is about picked up a needed major from the group win. Good for him! But, if the major was all he needed, then he should have not been shown. Just a point about showing in general, not about the above dog.

How cool is that? Mega Congratulations. Not an easy feat for anyone - in any breed - let alone in Labs.

I seem to recall many moons ago, Joy Quallenburg handled a black male to pts and then on to a Best In Show (all-breeds). I think Lorraine Robbenhaar was owner? Anyone else remember this? Must be close to 20 years or so ago...

That doesn't diminish your great win. Why did you wait so long to crow about it? Had it been me, I would have taken out a full page ad in "The NY Times"!!!

Congrats again! Well done!!

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest