Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Food

My pups are two weeks old and I still have not decided which puppy food to start them on.
Everyone has a different opinion of which one is best.
Suggestions I have gotten have been:
Royal Canin Large Breed Puppy
Blue Buffalo Puppy
Eukanuba Puppy
Have any of you used one of these?
Suggestions and/or comments are most welcome.
Thanks

Re: Puppy Food

What is the mother eating?

As per my vet's suggestion, I have kept her on Blue Buffalo and have added BilJac and yougurt along with a supplement called Mapleton(?).

My mom is on Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice and the pups will be in a week. I have used it for years. I have never had better looking pups.

Two things I consider(aside from my personal standard of "quality" food)are,

1) want to keep mom and pups on same food (about a 26% protein w/ 16% fat) and

2)is the pup food EASILY available and comfortable price wise for the prospective owners so they can remain on it in their new home

I would say to you that Blue Buffalo would certainly be a fair contender. It seems things are going fine and I have a motto to not fix what isn't broken......

Pro Plan, Bil Jac, Eukanuba,Royal Canin etc have all been used for YEARS by many breeders with varying results, reasons not always identifiable. Each person has their preference.

When I tried puppies on Blue Buffalo they had very loose stools, which never cleared up until I switched to ProPlan puppy. Don't use it anymore for that reason.

I always wean puppies on Eukanuba Weaning formula and gradually put them on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy. I suggest that they stay on this for close to the first year. Then if a new owner wishes to change at least I know that the puppy has at least had a quality food to start on.
I've never encountered loose stools and the puppies grow like weeds!

I feed my puppies Pro Plan regular puppy chicken formula. I have had the best results with this puppy food. I have tried some of the others like Eukanuba large breed puppy and Royal Canin and I was not happy with the results from those foods. With the Pro Plan regular formula, I notice my puppies seem to stay more even while they grow.

Does anyone recommend feeding Pro Plan Performace to puppies?

My breeder fed Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food to the litter my puppy was from. I kept him on the puppy food until he was about seven months old and then switched him to Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Adult. He has done very well on this food and wherever we go, people comment on how beautiful and shiny his black coat is.