Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
black lab eye color

I had two black females in my last litter. One girl has a darker brown eye color and one a lighter brown eye color. Is one preferred over the other? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: black lab eye color

I was rereading the standard last night, and it just said that blacks should have brown eyes....just not black eyes. I will be curious to hear if the shade of brown matters. I know with chocolates, you can range from brown to hazel.

The darker the brown the more desireable.

No, darker isn't better. While light is not good, dark is equally not good. The preferred color is termed a burnt sugar color. There was an article YEARS ago in the LQ with lots of dogs' eyes, talking about shape and color. You want to be able to see lovely, brown eyes, not black "holes" with really dark eyes.

All Labs should have that beautiful dark brown color. But low, they do not. I do not like a black with very dark, dark eyes. Gives a harsh look. Expression is everything in the ring or daily life.

Burnt Sugar is correct.

You are correct. I should have said Burnt Sugar.

What I meant was you want a darker brown as opposed to lighter. As dark as possible - but not black.

Ah, but burnt for how long???? LOL!!!!

This is one of the problems with blindly going to the Standard for guidance. Been around long enough, you know what's meant. If not, you only have those words, and good luck!!!

Standard guidance???
Ah, but burnt for how long???? LOL!!!!

That's what went through my little mind too.lol

I look for something about the color of a nice dark toffee.

I think that if the dog has a nice soft expression, the eye color is about right.

Olivia Nankivell
Milaje Labradors
Western Australia

Olivia Nankivell
Standard guidance???

I look for something about the color of a nice dark toffee.

I think that if the dog has a nice soft expression, the eye color is about right.

Olivia Nankivell
Milaje Labradors
Western Australia

Exactly!

Burnt sugar has been the described eye color for years, decades. That having been said - look at the dog's facial expression and how their particular eye color works into their expression. Both lighter eyes (usually verging on almost yellow eyes) or black eyes can help give a harsh expression to the dog's face and this is definitely not preferred.