Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prelims

How many of you have had Fair prelims on hips and then got Good as finals? I have an 18 month old bitch, and the vet thought everything looked fine (he's well trained on doing OFA xrays), but we got the fair. I have a call into the vet to discuss him looking at the xrays closer. We didn't use sedation, but obviously next time we definately will.

Re: Prelims

My bitch went from fair prelims at 12 months to good at 26 months. First time was fully sedated, for her finals we changed vets and she was not sedated. I think having a very good vet that knows what they are doing is key, and made the difference in our case!If you like your bitch, hold on to her IMO as Fair is passing and re-xray at 2 yo!

She's staying no matter what as she has many other qualities I am happy with plus a long background of good/excellent hips. This vet supposedly KNOWS what they are doing, but this was our first visit. They are quite a distance away but MUCH cheaper than the local "expert". I know several long time breeders who swear by the one I went to. We're in no rush, and I think I'll do her brother at 24 months with the same vet, and if I am still not happy, I'll do her finals with the expensive local guy.

I've had them go both ways. My now 12 year old male prelimed fair at a year and got a good rating at 2 years. I also had a male that prelimed good at 10 months and was affected at 2 years. Just cross your fingers and wait until she's two.

I've had Fair go to Good.......and Fair stay Fair, both were males done at approx 9 months then at 24-25 months.

2 of our "Good" prelims became "Excellent" finals. Hope yours move in the same direction. Don't overfeed, Michigan State University published a study 2 years ago linking HD with overfeeding.

She's actually thin, some have told me to have her gain a bit to be competetive at the shows. Too much running with the other dogs.

Several years ago one of my females prelim'd Mild or Moderate, films done without sedation. For her finals, I took her to one of the best radiologists for positioning, she was sedated, and results were rated as Good. I also requested the reports of all three reviewers, for my own peace of mine, and all 3 rated her as Good. Proper positioning is a must, and if takes sedation, so be it.

A Fair is still a pass. Just do your homework when it comes time for a breeding.

I have never sedated my dogs for prelims or finals. I assist my veterinarian and he will take as many shots as he needs until we are both happy with the films for hips and elbows.

All of my dogs have come back good or excellent, elbows clear.

MWK

The fist OFA I ever did, I had a bitch prelim Fair with sedation. I was nervous her finals could go borderline, her finals were done without sedation and to my surprise they came back an Excellent! Also had a final go Fair and after 6 months they were retaken and changed to a Good. Two breeders I know had prelims borderline and the finals were both Good.