Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
missin molars and premolars

how many missing molars and premolars are serious fault or it is normal and no fault

Re: missin molars and premolars

This is a matter of contention in the US. There will be many differing opinions and standard interpretations.

In honesty, I will tell you ANY missing molars/premolars will be an issue at an all breed show under a non breeder-judge most of the time.

It seems to be a fault most want to eliminate.

It is very difficult to eliminate once you have it!

Hope that helps............only you can decide how serious a fault it is on an overall evaluation of your own breeding program/stock.

We can't eliminate something that we don't know the mode of inheritance on. Hit and miss.

Not throwing out my great babies with the bath water.

Still retrieve, does NOT make them hardmouthed and does not change the jaw as some would have you believe.

The standard says it is a fault. Better to have missing pre molars than molars. Many champions out there have teeth missing. I know first hand some all-breed judges don't care and others will not put the dog up because it is missing teeth.

It is what you make of it. Is it preferred? No...but I would take a few missing teeth on an otherwise lovely example of the breed that has a sound temperment, good retrieving drive and sound orthopedics any day over a generic dog that has a questionable pedigree but with a full mouth.

I personally have a young dog that finished his CH rather quickly (3 months) in the all breed ring with multple group placements. True...some judges will send you to the end of the line but many others will not.

Good luck!

What about under breeder judges at specialties? Is it more "acceptable" for bitches to be missing teeth than dogs? Unfortunately I have one of each with missing teeth-totally unrelated with all parents having full dentition

Missing premolars
What about under breeder judges at specialties? Is it more "acceptable" for bitches to be missing teeth than dogs? Unfortunately I have one of each with missing teeth-totally unrelated with all parents having full dentition

I feel it depends on the breeder-judge. If they've seen it in their line it might be fine, especially if the dog moves as well as they stand for examination.

If it's a breeder-judge that never showed a lab missing even a pre-molar then the dog might be penalized more than by another judge.

I would show a dog with 1 or 2 missing pre-molars. I personally would think seriously about the opposite if there are more than 2 missing teeth.

What is most important to your line & kennel should be your main concern.

I really hate to see a pretty dog open its happy mouth and see a line of missing teeth. Don't mind one or maybe two if they don't really show. I had a beautiful girl with a missing tooth. Harder to play the game. Sad but true. Know there are stud dogs that walked right through to their championship with missing teeth, wonder how the offsprings are doing in the show ring. Sure it is being passed on. Glad I don't worry about it.