Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Books

I am looking for some reading suggestions about genetics, breeding and show handling/training. Can anyone tell me their favorites? I have Reaching for the Stars, looking for more good titles. TIA

Re: Books

Thanks you! Very helpful!

I was hoping there would be some posts to your requests, as I am trying to learn more, too. Maybe they are all at shows this weekend

I do have a copy of "The Ultimate Labrador Retriever" by Heather Wiles-Fone that is an excellent source of information. It covers the basics along with a chapter that includes drawings on movement and structure. Highly recommended.

If you are just starting out showing, this book is excellent, it explains ring procedure, points progression, handling, and many other basic questions. It is available on Amazon too.
Raising A Champion by A. Meredith John

Are you looking for breeding or whelping books?
I like Canine Reproduction by Phyllis A. Holst. She touches on some genetics, breeding strategies, anatomy, whelping and neonatal care. Another excellent resource is Book Of The Bitch by J.M Evans & Kay White, and The Whelping And Rearing Of Puppies by Muriel P. Lee. There is no replacement for the Myra Savant books too, they are easy to read and a good reference when you are looking for a quick answer.

Good for you for looking to learn!

Thank you very much, there are many books out there, not sure which are good.

Not looking for whelping as much as planning the actual breeding (structure, genetics, improving traits, avoiding disease etc) and selecting the right matches.

I have shown a little, so I know the basics but I want to improve my skills and learn to train my dogs better so we're both better prepared for the ring and use our brief time with the judge well.
Thanks for your ideas.