Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thirsty pup

just got a lab pup yesterday. I noticed she is always drinking water. Is there anything wrong with her?

Re: thirsty pup

I doubt it, but keep an eye on the amount. With a pup that you are trying to potty train, no water after 7pm so that you have a better change of the puppy making it long enough over night. Enjoy your new baby and get ready for sleep deprivation, lolol!

Be careful not to give rawhide or pig ears. Both of these will cause excessive thirst.

Keep an Eye
I doubt it, but keep an eye on the amount. With a pup that you are trying to potty train, no water after 7pm so that you have a better change of the puppy making it long enough over night. Enjoy your new baby and get ready for sleep deprivation, lolol!

Do you really do that? I have raised many pups, and I would never deprive them access to water. All my dogs can drink whenever they want. I keep water in their crates overnight, and they can get water outside, inside, where ever. Why would you not give a pup water when he wants water? I never had a pup pee in the crate overnight.

I Don't keep water inside the crate, but do allow them to drink all the time they are outside.

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the pup, Labs have a obsession with water and act like it's gold :}.... if she starts peeing all the time like straining and no results then i'd worry about a bladder infection so just be aware of what's going on with her. As to withholding water after 7 pm, I don't do that either and they always have access to it but I also won't put water in the crate at night, they don't need it overnight.
Aloha,
Jackie

Could be your pup is still in competition mode.When they are with littermates they eat fast,drink fast to get a fair share!They gradually slow down when they realise it's all for them-no more sharing!

thirsty puppy
just got a lab pup yesterday. I noticed she is always drinking water. Is there anything wrong with her?

I tell my puppy people that an 8 week old Lab has no "shut off valve" at first where water is concerned so offer them small amounts every 1 to 2 hours during the day rather than a big bowl available at all times. Otherwise it is harder to predict when they need to go out. I also don't give my puppies water over night as someone else mentioned. Usually after about 10 p.m. they don't get any water again until about 6 a.m.
My pup is now 10 weeks old and finally doesn't try to drink a whole bowl of water each time she sees one but will lap small amounts at a time as my other dogs do. Once they reach that point I don't restrict water access (except at night as above).