Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To sedate or not to sedate

Do you guys typically see that your dogs are sedated for OFA xrays? I was just talking to my vet about it and he says that they typically DON'T sedate because sometimes they show a bit more laxity when they are out.

We got a Fair reading on a prelim and when we do the finals, I am just trying to figure out if it's worth sedating or not. He was not sedated initally.

Re: To sedate or not to sedate

OFA recommends sedation.

Penn-hip requires it......and my Vet will NOT do OFA views without at least sedation....my feeling is I want the truth....good, bad and or ugly so not sedating your dog to lessen the chance of increased laxity makes no sense?

I am already disappointed in the wide range of opinions amongst the OFA Vets reading our x-rays so do NOT totally rely on their findings.

I feel if you do not need to sedate than why do it? My vet does not use sedation and he gets perfect positioning every time. He is wonderful and I have gotten all goods and excellents back so far since I started using him to x-ray my dogs. I once paid the big bucks and had one of my dogs sedated and now I do not feel it was necessary. If I have a choice I will not sedate.

Why would you want to put your dog under if it's not neccessary? As to the good, bad and ugly you will get that regardless using OFA to read your films as they don't seem to know what they're doing anyway nowdays!

bird in hand
Penn-hip requires it......and my Vet will NOT do OFA views without at least sedation....my feeling is I want the truth....good, bad and or ugly so not sedating your dog to lessen the chance of increased laxity makes no sense?

I am already disappointed in the wide range of opinions amongst the OFA Vets reading our x-rays so do NOT totally rely on their findings.

If getting a passing rating is all that counts to someone then do whatever it takes to make that happen.....BUT..if you want to know how loose or tight your dogs hips are do Penn-hip and/or sedate for OFA.

JMHO

Laxity is not the only cause of HD, in fact they say if the hips are too tight that can also cause ortho problems later in life as the joints are grinding against each other. HD is also diagnosed by the shape of the socket and joint too Not to mention that with Penn Hip the force the joints out of the socket which is NOT a natural thing.

bird in hand
If getting a passing rating is all that counts to someone then do whatever it takes to make that happen.....BUT..if you want to know how loose or tight your dogs hips are do Penn-hip and/or sedate for OFA.

JMHO

Negatory
I feel if you do not need to sedate than why do it? My vet does not use sedation and he gets perfect positioning every time. He is wonderful and I have gotten all goods and excellents back so far since I started using him to x-ray my dogs. I once paid the big bucks and had one of my dogs sedated and now I do not feel it was necessary. If I have a choice I will not sedate.

You're lucky to have a great vet. Not all vets are created equal. Some can, some can't position a bitch properly without sedation.

Sometimes it depends on the bitch. If she won't allow proper placement sometimes sedation is needed.

I wish I had a vet like yours within 2 hours driving distance and I'm not in a lightly populated part of the U.S. Negatory, you're fortunate in alot of ways.

Actually if you do not sedate the vet is unable to manipulate the hips (and elbows, which are very uncomfortable to position) to get the best film possible. Your chances of getting a crappy film are much higher without sedation. You would think that not sedating would make a better hip film but that isn't true. The way the hip ball and socket are formed and fit together has nothing to do with soft muscle tissue. I always make sure the vet sedates, belongs to the AAHA and that they have a cradle to lay the dog on to take the films. Just because they are a vet doesn't mean they know the best way to take films. I have experienced Ortho surgeons take films that were horrible and refused by OFA and didn't see that they were poor quality. They also told me the hips would be a good rating and they ended up being moderate HD on the same dog. So it does happen.

duh
Laxity is not the only cause of HD, in fact they say if the hips are too tight that can also cause ortho problems later in life as the joints are grinding against each other. HD is also diagnosed by the shape of the socket and joint too Not to mention that with Penn Hip the force the joints out of the socket which is NOT a natural thing.

JMHO
[/quote]

Breeds like Borzoi have the tightest hips possible and virtually no HD in the whole breed.
And it's the OFA position that is unnatural, not PennHIP's.

duh
Why would you want to put your dog under if it's not neccessary? As to the good, bad and ugly you will get that regardless using OFA to read your films as they don't seem to know what they're doing anyway nowdays!
[/quote]

Agree 100%, OFA don't have an idea on what they are doing

[I have experienced Ortho surgeons take films that were horrible and refused by OFA and didn't see that they were poor quality. They also told me the hips would be a good rating and they ended up being moderate HD on the same dog. So it does happen.]

I agree with been there, I have been there too. I used a high priced top recommended ortho vet and after taking x-rays he told me my dogs hips were good. Although, the rating I received back from OFA did not agree with him.

I did the research and asked every breeder I knew in my area who they used to do their dogs hip/elbow
x-rays and I did get lucky and was recommended to a vet who is experienced in doing x-rays for OFA for many years. I re-did the x-rays and the results turned out to be an improvement. I feel it is not about the ortho vet with all the fancy degrees it is about a vet who is experienced in doing x-rays for OFA.

The vets in my area always sedate and I have to agree with them. I do not want my dogs uncomfortable and certainly do not a film or a digital refused for any reason. OFA has never refused any of my xrays so far. While the vets at OFA have not read my xrays in accordance with what my vet has said, they have agreed with what I have seen. Sometimes that has been dissappointing. The name of the game. Oh well.
Hope that helps.
A

In response to "Been There". I sort of have to disagree with you. Several years ago i took a dog to a very good vet for OFA's. He did not sedate. OFA refused the x-rays and said they had been munipulated (sp?).

I now travel 2 1/2 hours to a great vet who does not sedate for OFA's if the dog will lay still, but if needed will sedate and gives me good readings. Now to just get 2 of the 3 radilogists at OFA to give the same rating. I hate it when i get 3 different ratings. It gives me no idea where my dogs hips REALLY are.