Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RINGWORM

Any Help please...
Ringworm: A beautiful male dog that I sold is turning two in November. Last summer he was diagnosed with Ringworm. He went on an extensive course of antibiotics, had no appetite, lost fur, lost weight and finally recovered. I've just had an email from the owner that this dog has again been diagnosed with Ringworm! They live in a rural area but the dog is walked - not free roaming. This is a handsome show dog who takes group placements - I'm at a loss since I've never encountered it.
TIA

Re: RINGWORM

My mother is a retired cat breeder and had to deal with ringworm many times. She used a drug called "fulvison" (sp). Maybe that is available for dogs? It's taken internally. Hope this helps.

It's often carried by cats and rabbits, Margie. Any chance he has contact with either of these critters, either domestic or wild? They could keep reinfecting him.

Just some information that may help.

Contrary to its name Ringworm is not a worm at all but a fungus called Dermatophytes. Dermaphtytes means 'plants that live on the skin'. In the past, because of the circular lesions made by the fungi they were thought to be caused by worms, hence the name ringworm.

The fungi live on the surface of the skin and in the skin follicles feeding on dead skin tissue and hair.

There are three different types of fungus that can cause ringworm and they are Microsporum canis, Microsporum gypseum and Trichophyton mentagrophytes, but the most predominant ones found on dogs and cats is Microsporum canis. Not to freak anyone out but it is contagious to people too.

Unfortunately, the fungal spores can live in the environment for a long time and can be found in carpets, bedding, grooming equipment etc and can infect your dog when it comes into contact with them. In some cased the spores will also live in the soil, and can live there for months if the soil nutrients are just right.

The incubation period is 10-12 days. This means that following exposure to the fungus, about 10-12 days will pass before any lesions occur.

Treatment should be for not just the dog but it's environment too. Bleach in a 1:10 ratio used on bedding and kennels will generally kill up to 80% of the fungus.

Additionally, some dogs respond very well to topical fungicides in both powder, cream and lotion. As referenced in another post the most widely used drug for this purpose is griseofulvin, although newer alternative drugs are now available.

You might also want to recommend something to boost the dogs immune system too. Good Luck getting rid of it.

I got ringworm from a farm with cattle and brought it home. Didn't know it was ringworm and mom and pups got it. It was terrible. Just when we thought we had cleaned everything and had gotten to about 10-12 days clear, a new puppy would get it. Then I had a house cat get it. We tried an oral and then a little clear liquid squirt bottle (like a bit bigger than Otomax) Can't think what either were called. They were doing nothing. Have a friend that breeds cats and she said to use the lotramin ultra for people. It works great. Mentioned to vet and he said it would be off label and under my own use, but it worked GREAT. In like 3 days all the spots were having hair grow back into them. Haven't had it since then but we bleached EVERYTHING and put the cat in a crate the second we saw anything.

If the dog just has a single lesion, a topical such as the bleach water, Tresaderm, or a lotramin ointment for athlete's foot may do the trick. If he has been infected this long, I would reccomend a systemic treatment. Fulficin is good but ketaconazole would be better. Works better and less side effects. Itraconazole would be even better but gets real pricey for a dog the size of a lab.Nizoril is the human name but generics work fine. Debbie Darche DVM

BTW, I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but it is contagious to humans as well.

Thank you all for your help. I'll be sure to pass this along.

A few years back when we moved to a new home a few of our young adults contracted Ringworm...and I even got a small lesion on my foot. Our Vet told us to use:
Tinactin Athletes Foot Spray, and it worked wonderfully. Luckily it took care of all of us within a few short weeks.

We had a bout of this 3 years ago, my son even got it from the dogs. During this time, we switched to a horse vet who did some dogs. She recommended a strong bleach solution. Used it on both the dogs and child for 3 weeks and have never had another issue since. I think it was a ratio of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water.

Antibiotics do not cure ringworm. Did they do a culture to confirm diagnosis? Recurrent infection of a dog with ring worm might be due to weak immune system, specially if there is no cats around to explain the re-infection.

anon
Antibiotics do not cure ringworm. Did they do a culture to confirm diagnosis? Recurrent infection of a dog with ring worm might be due to weak immune system, specially if there is no cats around to explain the re-infection.

True, is he getting enough protein? Protein builds the immune system. Also, ringworm is tenacious. We treated with our bleach solution at least 10 days after it appeared to be gone.

I had 5 dogs that got ringworm somehow, probably from me because I work at a vet. We treated them with Program oral tabs (lufeneron), it can be used off label and worked great. I would ask your vet a bout it. We gave an initial high dose, repeated 2weeks later, then gave it at the normal dose once monthly for 6 months. Good luck!