Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advertising on craigs list

I noticed an advertisement by a breeder on craigs list. I'm not being critical but isn't that a rough place to advertise pups or dogs? It seems to be more common place to do. I wouldn't feel right about it for my pups or dogs.

We sold a bedroom set on there and got many strange people contacting us . I think it's worse than a newspaper advertisment but that's jmho.

Those using craigs list, I advise you to be cautious. Selling furniture was difficult on there. I can't imagine selling or placing a live animal.

Re: Advertising on craigs list

If you try to post a ad on Craigslist for more than $200 you will get flagged and removed. It states no selling of dogs, small rehoming fee only. There are plenty of good people looking on Craigslist for things. You just have to get a small rehoming fee.

I don't see any difference advertising on Craigslist or the newspaper. Yes there are lots of whacko's that answer the ads on Craigslist as well as from newspaper ads or referrals but it is then up to the poster of the ad to be smart enough to weed out those whacko's from the good people just like when you get calls from people inquiring about puppies. I've gotten lots of whacko's calling me just from puppy inquiries referred by the lab club so it's no different than advertising on Craigslist. I have sold property on craigslist and gotten strange responses but I have also rehomed a dog on there a few years ago and gotten wonderful responses and found a great home for the dog I was looking to rehome and no whacko ones so I really think it depends on WHAT your selling on there as to what kinds of responses you are going to get. I really think people just need to mind their own business and never mind what others are doing. Makes me wonder too why you posted this on this list instead of emailing or calling the person that is looking to rehome the dog, was it to cause trouble for that person?
JMHO

just me
I noticed an advertisement by a breeder on craigs list. I'm not being critical but isn't that a rough place to advertise pups or dogs? It seems to be more common place to do. I wouldn't feel right about it for my pups or dogs.

We sold a bedroom set on there and got many strange people contacting us . I think it's worse than a newspaper advertisment but that's jmho.

Those using craigs list, I advise you to be cautious. Selling furniture was difficult on there. I can't imagine selling or placing a live animal.

I for one LOVE Craigslist! I have found a lot of cool stuff on there. One of the biggest things I found was a cool roommate and a nice house to rent in West LA. I've bought and sold lots of stuff on this list and really enjoy reading some of the advertisements on there. Just like any thing though, you just have to be cautious and used good judgement when dealing with people. Would I use it to sell my puppies NO! One thing is it is against the rules and your ad will more than likely get flagged for removal. The second reason for me, is I've never had a problem placing puppies so would not need to advertise there in the first place.

One of my favorite sections is free stuff. Not sure if it's an LA thing, but it's funny when people don't want stuff, they throw it to the curb and then advertise "CURB ALERT". LA is definitely a different place, but I enjoy finding the comedy in things!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

I agree that Craigs List can be used to your benefit!!

Who cares where someone else advertises? Isn't the inter-net / web pages just one BIG advertisement.

I've also found great buys and have sold unwanted items there AND once placed a young adult in a GREAT forever home!

I just found 2 yellow..3 yr old Labradors up for adoption on Craig's list or I should say my adult daughter sent me the link since she knew I was trying to find a good home for her favorite retred girl here at our home. She is resorting to helping others find homes for their yellow dogs so they don't contact us about her fav dog. God bless her anyway.

I contacted our local pure bred rescue for Labrador lady about the 2 yellow dogs on craig's list add and she said that there are a couple of self appointed ladies who take it upon themselves to call the owners of the Labradors who are listed up for adoption on Craig's list. What happens in most of these cases is the families need to find homes now,they do not want to take the time to fill out the Pure Bred Rescue form to list a dog for adoption and go through the process. She also said most of the time the dogs listed on Craig's list are not spayed or neutered and for pure bred rescue to accept a dog in their system, it needs to be neutered or spayed first. Most people do not want to spend the money or time to neuter their dogs at this point...they just want to get rid of them. So sad but it's the raw truth.