Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Judges, friendship and showing. When do you draw the line?

I am not trying to stir trouble and this has nothing to do with any particular show or judge or event so please don't read it that way.

I am honestly wondering what constitutes not being able to show to a certain judge?

Does traveling to dog shows as exhibitors together make it no longer reasonable to show to them when they judge?
Sharing hotel rooms as exhibitors?
Where do you draw that line?

Of course I know all about the rule about co owning dogs with them. Thats not an issue for me.

I am really wanting opinions on whats appropriate for me as an exhibitor who has several friends who are also judges.

TIA!!

Re: Judges, friendship and showing. When do you draw the line?

I was always told that traveling with a judge and/or sharing a room is a "No No". I believe it falls under "avoiding the appearance of impropriety". I would think that going to dinner or sitting and talking ringside would be alright. I try to avoid anything that would make tongues wag.

You want personal opinion on that? I think that travel partners shouldn't show to each other, even if they didn't travel together to that particular show. Don't show to someone you spend a lot of time with - someone who you consider a good friend. If none of us showed to acquaintances, there'd be no one at the specialties. I don't have a problem with that. It's when people who normally are buddy-buddy show to each other that makes me crazy.

I don't show to people who I'm good friends with - if I want to go to the show where they are, I offer to ring steward for them. Fun for everyone!

I should add that when you normally travel and/or share a room with someone, don't show to them when they judge. There are "acquaintance friends" and "good friends". Thats where the line should be drawn.

What about showing to a sweeps judge that you bought a dog from in the past. Of course not showing that dog...anyway...she is aged out of the sweeps classes so she would not be shown in sweeps either day. But wondering about other puppies I have...is it wrong to show to this judge?? I don't know this person well and certainly don't travel together as we are in different parts of the country.

I would not show to a judge with whom I had a breeding/ownership relationship - co-own, bred to a dog owned by, purchased from ...

I would show a dog to a friend, but would not show the dog myself.

Sorry Newbie but you don't think people should show to a judge if you "bred to a dog owned by" them?
This made me laugh. If people followed this idea, then Kendall Herr, Mary Wiest, Judy Heim, Jill Ickowski, etc. etc. etc. (I don't want to name everyone!) would never get an entry!

AKC Guidelines say you can't exhibit to someone with whom you travel to shows. That is pretty clear. And they don't mean once. They mean often.

I've judged Sweeps. I've watched puppies out of my stud dog walk in the ring. I try to treat them like any other dog in the ring, I do NOT look at faces at the other end of the lead, I look at dogs ! Frankly, I think I judge the puppies out of my own stud dog harder than I do the others. I know I am going to get "feedback" if I place those puppies, and I am going to make darn sure they deserve the placement!

I'm sorry - bringing up this topic is stirring up trouble no matter what your intent. Bottom line - there are the AKC rules and guidelines, and there is your own conscience. Follow all of them and you won't care what anyone else thinks of your decision.

I do show to dog friends. I will never show to my long time traveling partner. What you do is your business but it's you that has to live with the outcome. It's in very very poor taste to show to a good friend.

I have a good friend who is a Lab Breeder and a CKC Judge. We've talked this out many times when I refused to enter one of my dogs in her ring. Her thoughts are - she judges the dogs presented to her on the day that they are presented to her. She says that way she sleeps at night and can look anyone in the eye. If she decides to put my dog up - my dog deserves it. If not - another deserves it more. Dogs have good and bad days too. She maintains that it isn't always easy to judge when surrounded by wonderful dogs - but one dog wants the ribbon more than another.

so what do you do if you go to a show where a person who travels with, and shows each others dogs with, is showing to that sweeps judge?

The moment you doubt yourself "Should I show to him/her" I think you have your answer right there in my opinion.

I would never but a good friend in a situation that would cause concern or question.

anon
so what do you do if you go to a show where a person who travels with, and shows each others dogs with, is showing to that sweeps judge?

Show your dog and trust that the judge is looking at the dog and not the handler

Or
pull your dog.
Not much else that you can do............

No, I don't believe that at all.

I wouldn't do it because there are, I believe, many many people would have nasty things to say about it, thereby turning it into a lose-lose situation. I think if someone has many accomplishments and a strong breeding program and a strong reputation, one can do it. I'm not sure newbies can.

That said, what I meant by 'bred-to' was that I wouldn't show a dog I bred to it's sire's owner/breeder. I would show a dog I bred to a breeder with whom I'd worked on a different breeding, if that makes any sense.

No, sorry but your post makes no sense at all. I read it 3 times and still can't get whatever you are trying say.

newbie breeder

I wouldn't do it because there are, I believe, many many people would have nasty things to say about it, thereby turning it into a lose-lose situation. I think if someone has many accomplishments and a strong breeding program and a strong reputation, one can do it. I'm not sure newbies can.

That said, what I meant by 'bred-to' was that I wouldn't show a dog I bred to it's sire's owner/breeder. I would show a dog I bred to a breeder with whom I'd worked on a different breeding, if that makes any sense.

Exactly one time, I showed under a judge who is a good friend of mine. I can't begin to tell you how uncomfortable I was. I'll never do it again. If I really want a particular dog shown to a friend / judge, I'll hire a handler.

huh
No, sorry but your post makes no sense at all. I read it 3 times and still can't get whatever you are trying say.

newbie breeder

I think that if you show a dog to someone under the circumstances I described initially, people will run their mouths. If the dog wins, it's because there's a relationship with the judge. If the dog loses, it's because the judge was avoiding appearance of impropriety.

I personally would not show a dog to the owner or breeder of the sire of the entry. I would show dog A of my breeding to someone with whom I'd worked to breed dog B.

How hard is that?

when I travel with my conformation judge friend, I show in obedience.

I agree. I was advised not to travel with a breeder judge friend of mine, who judges another breed in another Group. With all it takes to get to and through Provisional status, it isn't worth ruining it for them. I've learned the do's & don't's now with even speaking to friends who are judges, in or out of our breed, about dogs. Limited small talk is "it".

I have friends that are judges. I would not show one of my dogs under them, ever. But, if they don't know who the dog is with someone else showing him/her, I dont see that as a problem, nor do others I have asked about this. I expect the dogs to be judged on the day they are shown no matter who the judge is. If they win, they deserve it and if not, there were others more deserving that day and that's fine.

meme
It's in very very poor taste to show to a good friend.

You know, meme, what I would really take exception to is the fact that you are obviously unable to credit your "good" friends with the minimum of integrity required for impartial judging! I prefer not to show to certain good friends, but not because I consider it poor taste.....

I completely agree with you Anonny.

And I dont agree with Judges/Friends doing eachother favors either. Like Judge Friend A showed under Judge Friend B - A gets the win. So at the next show where roles are switched, A feels that they need to give B the win.

But heck, its all part of the game, and there are politics in every game.

I am not saying I would do this though.