Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pro Plan making a change......AGAIN

Tried to buy ProPlan SELECTS Chicken and Rice yesterday, and none on the shelf. The food store mananger says, oh yes, Purina has discontinued the bar code on this food. From his experience, his believes Purina is pulling a marketing stunt and may make a formula change or may even come out with the same food in a smaller bag at a higher price. What is up with all of the food changes? Purina ran me off with the shredded, I came back to Selects and now changing again??? Someone said no more Pro Plan Puppy food. Is this correct? Their puppy is now All Life Stages?

Re: Pro Plan making a change......AGAIN

I just purchased PP puppy @ Petco in NY. I thought the last bag of SSS I purchased looked smaller too

I'm not sure, but I just bought Pro Plan Puppy and Pro Plan Performance (both large bags) for my dogs yesterday. No problems.
A

Has anyone seen or even purchased the "original" C&R since they said Petco was going to carry it? I still haven't seen it, and now I am beiing told at the store where I buy my food that they are not receiving Purina shipments and don't know when. This is getting ridiculous. I guess I will have to make the switch to something reliable since Purina is becoming less and less reliable. I also noticed they are not sponsoring very many shows anymore.

Yes it probably was smaller, they have gone to 33 lb bags now. I gave up on Proplan back when they came out with the Shreds. They messed up a good thing and are not the same company. For the prices now and the smaller bag sizes you can feed food that has much better ingredients for the same amount or less, not worth it anymore. People I know who are still feeding it say it is not the same, dogs not doing as well on it as they did for years. Shame. I'd still be using it if they did not have to mess it up.

my last bag of SS&S was smaller-if anyone is going to change, as I am thinking of, can you throw out some suggestions?
Ex pro plan-what did you switch to?

Pretty sure if you search this, you'll find TONS of info/suggestions as I know it's been discussed before. Good luck finding something that works & is reliable to get too!

Innova mixed with EVO, been very happy with it, coats are great, better than before, dogs love it. One was always picky on Proplan but wolfs down the Innova. I trust the company and ingredients. Wish they had a breeder program though. I do get a breeder discount from my feed store though so that helps. I heard Natura may be coming out with one.

I used Pro Plan for more than 15 years, and after several tries, I'm using Diamond performance, or Diamond naturals C&R. I think it is the one better compares to Pro Plan based on results.
I also use Eukanuba performance for the show dogs and for the moms.

I WAS getting the original chicken and rice through Petco, you had to order 6 or more bags at a time to get it and it is/was a special order that took 2-3 weeks to come in, however this last time I order after 3 weeks I call and ask where is my paid for order and call every week after till 8 weeks has gone by and no food and they don't know when it's coming in argh! I said to hell with them and got my money back and am not feeding the Eukanuba active performance to all my dogs which ingredients are almost identical to the pro plan original chicken and rice but with a little higher protien/fat which is 28/18 so i'll just feed less food to not get fat dogs. Price here if you have a GE licence is 44lbs for 37.78 which boils down to a 100.00 savings for me on 5 bags get one free! Might want to check out the Eukanuba.
Aloha,
Jackie

Debbie Morton
Has anyone seen or even purchased the "original" C&R since they said Petco was going to carry it? I still haven't seen it, and now I am beiing told at the store where I buy my food that they are not receiving Purina shipments and don't know when. This is getting ridiculous. I guess I will have to make the switch to something reliable since Purina is becoming less and less reliable. I also noticed they are not sponsoring very many shows anymore.

Merrick is about to come out with a new line-- Whole Earth Farms. For those who've been concerned about flaxseed meal and repro problems, the Whole Earth Farms line is formulated without flax, and looks like it has good quality ingredients. WEF will have a Puppy, Adult, and Senior formulation, all available in 35# bags. Merrick is advertising free shipping for online orders, and a yearly $25 membership that deducts 10% on every order. Might be worth looking into when it's launched in the next few weeks.

If you like Diamond Performace then check out their Extreme Athelete. No corn, soy, wheat or by-product. Its the first performance food I've found with no corn! Dogs doing great on it!

I dislike food that contains beet pulp..will be looking for an ingred. list minus that.

I use the PP Chicken and Rice All life stages and get it regularly at my Petco. I do have to ask the manager to order it but I have it within one week. The price is very good and the bag size is the 37.5 pounds. On top of that, the ALS Chicken and Rice formula is worth 12 points per pound for redemption. The same as veterinary diets and Performance. My dogs do so well on this food. I never tried it before and fed the Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula exclusively and switched recently. My guys have never looked so good.
Petsmart DOES carry it in a lot of their stores and it was on sale this past week in a local Phoenix store.

What don't you like about the beet pulp?

I'm a Pro Plan fan but am thinking of switching to raw.. looking at purchasing a dog from Scotland and the breeder there feeds raw .. anyone have opinions on that?

I tried Diamond Extreme, and I got all loose stools. Maybe I didn't wait enough for their systems to get used to it, but still...

When my sister fed her shih tzu a food with beet pulp her eyes were tearing pink, and other parts of her coat were tinged with the color. Her breeder told her to switch off to Natures Variety and since then, all pink has disappeared.

I have been feeding the Eukanuba for the last few months as well. The dogs are doing very well on it. I also signed up for their breeder program. Every 6 bags and you get one free. Plus the puppy kits are pretty nice.

Breeder2
I tried Diamond Extreme, and I got all loose stools. Maybe I didn't wait enough for their systems to get used to it, but still...

With the Diamond (especially Extreme Athlete) you have to be very careful not to overfeed - you definitely get loose stools that way. You will feed less than you are used to, so anyone wanting to try it - I'd suggest feeding 1/4 less than you are normally feeding of your old food, then go from there.

We switched off of pro plan after shreds and finally found a food we love: Precise Foundation. Its very similar to the pro plan but better it doesn't have corn wheat or soy and all ingredients are from the USA and inspected! Family owned company too! Came recommeded from the great dane lady!

I couldn't keep up with all the ever changing Pro Plan, down sizing and cost rising so one day I decided to try Taste of the Wild in the Pacific Stream formula. My dogs love it and their stools are half the size. It does cost $48 for a 30 Pound Bag so to save money, I buy the Kirkland Lamb and Rice ( Costco ) and the Taste of the Wild and feed half and half. My dogs really thrive on TOTW Fish formula though. I have tried the Pro Plan Salmon many times over the years but still prefer the TOTW Pacific Stream Kibble. It has less fillers which probably explains less stools. I bought Petco's last bag of Pro Plan Salmon a month ago and the lady said that Pro Plan's new bag will be smaller. That was when I decided not to buy Pro Plan anymore.I just don't like all the games these dog food companies are playing with the bags shrinking and prices going up.

We too feed TOW Pacific Stream and are thrilled with the results!! Extremely low stool residue, great coats and overall just healthy dogs... can't say enough about this product!!

I have been feeding my dogs the TOTW Bison formula for about 1 yr now. Recently I thought I would try the Pro Plan fish formula and I mixed a bag of it in with the TOTW to ease the transition. I was not satified with the results of the Pro Plan and the mix has run out. Now that I am feeding the TOTW again my boy has the runs. It is like starting all over with a new food again.