Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
low-cost training treats

Any ideas on training treats that are low-cost. I'm taking a training class that uses a lot of treats. we use high, med and low value treats. I have great high value and I thought I would use some of her dog food, but I still need another treat. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!

Re: low-cost training treats

Hotdogs! Turkey hot dogs!

no-frills brand plain cheerios

pop corn

Have you seen these? 'Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Miniature Dog Treats Peanut Butter Formula~Great for Training.'They're made by a company called Zuke's out of Durango, CO. www.zukes.com. This company makes other flavors. My chocolate boy is allergic to common grains (wheat, corn, and soy).

I made them even more miniature by cutting them in 1/4's. During training, all dogs need is a small nibble of treat. He loves them, they aren't greasy, easy and quick to chew and a large amount fits in my jeans pocket or bait bag.

These are easy and cheap...

http://workingdogs.com/doc0179.htm

Pieces of hot dogs, Purina Moist and Meaty dog food (cubes, not strings), plus you can look at Best Buy stores if you have them - they sometimes have small treats and "gourmet" treats at great prices - my guy likes the Buddy Biscuits that Best Buy has for $2 a box (and the fancy dog store here carries the same ones for $14 a box). Mine won't eat Cheerios, but he likes string cheese okay. He prefers Bil Jac liver treats or most definitely the Bil Jac Gooberlicious ones. The soft treats work best for us in class.

Thanks everyone for some great ideas!

Boiled chicken. Easy to deliver, no real chewing. Buy the big family pack on sale. Only need TINY,"taste" of a treat- as my trainer says. For my 80# boy, I use a piece of treat the size of half my baby fingernail. Another one is chicken liver. Just cook it up on a cookie sheet in oven ( stinks your house but your dog gets excited just sniffing the air.)
Happy training

Mine love string cheese, easy to carry and you just pinch off small pieces from the end.