Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat troubles again

I know this subject has been hashed and rehashed.

I have a girl who had a drop dead coat, until she was 11 months old. Born in July, so this June, her coat started to fall out and its been out and dull and lack lustre, dry and flaky, topcoat falling out, has bald patches. No undercoat left to her at all.

Her coat was glorious before this.

Her mother had the same thing happen. Never a nice coat after about 13-14 months. A son lives in another home where he is outside about 10 hours a day who had an ok coat, but its now much nicer than the littermate that I have here.

My dogs are indoors mostly, and probably out for about 2 hours total all day.

I feed ProPlan Selects, Turkey and Barley. I don't buy that its genetics, because their coats were so lovely, and had gone through a shed already when it started to come out. I simply don't buy that.

I am thinking to switch their food, I picked up several bags of . Do you think it would make a difference?

I can email pictures of their coats, beautiful, never to be seen again.

Re: Coat troubles again

Could you have a case of ringworm on your hands?

Would it make sense to add a supplement to the food and see if that helps? If it is the food, the supplement will make up the difference in nutrition.

We have 2 that blow coat horribly before heats and after whelping.My Vet says it's hormonal,it affects some worse than others.InFlight coat supplement keeps them looking better than before we started using it,but not perfect.

Oh please get your dogs off the Pro Plan Turkey and Barley! My dogs were on that for a few years and then last year all, and I mean ALL 5 of them had their coats go to he--in a hand basket and one boy had bouts of diarrhea. They are doing superbly on the Exceed.

El
Oh please get your dogs off the Pro Plan Turkey and Barley! My dogs were on that for a few years and then last year all, and I mean ALL 5 of them had their coats go to he--in a hand basket and one boy had bouts of diarrhea. They are doing superbly on the Exceed.

I've had the opposite experience. I LOVE Pro Plan Select T&B. My coats are great, stool is great, dogs are doing fantastic on it. In fact, I had one that was not doing well on another food, switched to this and the coat is now gorgeous.

I believe every individual dog does good or bad on any given food, they are all different and we all have different experiences on whatever we feed. Example, I know many that love Canidae(sp??)and I know it's a great food... but... I tried this on my dogs, whoa it did not do well with them.

It's genetic, period.