Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Studs for Size

Need ideas for Studs out there that throw big bone and size as well as head size. My female can carry the rest just need that improvement. Please post some names I could take a look at as this is a discussion forum and I believe these things should be discussed.
Thanks

Re: Studs for Size

Clarke, AmCh. Dickendall's Davaron Gable
Gordy, BISS AM CH Borador's By George, CGC

Only 2?, and Clark is almost 9 and Gordy is retired, even do Gordy is one of the best producers of all times, I don't remember him throwing big bone, size and specially heads.

What about Mason, Rush, Major, Caillou, Sport, Hawk(Knight son), Robin, none of them throw big bone size and head?, give me a break, where do you live?

Just do it
Only 2?, and Clark is almost 9 and Gordy is retired, even do Gordy is one of the best producers of all times, I don't remember him throwing big bone, size and specially heads.

What about Mason, Rush, Major, Caillou, Sport, Hawk(Knight son), Robin, none of them throw big bone size and head?, give me a break, where do you live?

Why do a few of you have an attitude regarding others answers? Shame-shame on you for speaking to a fellow breeder who tried to assist...... Apparently those 2 dogs might be her top of her list. Does she need to come up with all the names you did to pass your post inspection? It was nice enough of her to reply........ especially with people like you frequenting this list.

OP and next poster....try to ignore this person's attitude & post.....If you don't know who the dogs are by the tossed out call names......don't be afraid to ask.

At times it's embarrassing to be associated in name with a vicious person that call themselves a Labrador Breeder........ When a few of *us* behave like Just do it it *can be* a reflection on all of us. It's a small % of all posters but this sticks out like a sore thumb. If that was your intention *Just do it*.......... you were successful.

I'm not trying to cause trouble...... I am sick of seeing this......prolly the same people repeatedly.

OP, you'll get your answers from the rest of the *normal* Wiscoy population.

I have a boy that throws what you want but I think its against the rules to have such a conversation. It just seems like advertising stud dogs is what you are wanting.

Not giving *Just do it* a break - Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately this world is full of miserable, stuck up individuals - I am use to that. But I try and look past that attitude of theirs and try to see that poor soul instead that is screaming for a friend. And one day we hope that they realize how miserable they are and regret and apologize for being so.

Heres a cup of tea for you dear, and to you a pleasant evening with your critters.

To to OP - Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Adéu!

Since my boy is mentioned in this post, I'm going to say this. I think those that come on here and ask questions about which stud dogs produce what , are actually looking for quick anwsers, because they think there is a fast lane in this hobby. Allow me to be the first to say, there is NO FAST LANE . The best part of this hobby is doing your own research, seeing puppies out of these dogs at specialties, seeing for yourself what they produce, and yes even making the wrong decision, but it was still your decision. If getting to the finish line ahead of everyone else is what you are after, this is not the hobby for you. Seriously, would anyone really do a breeding based on an anonomous posters opinion of a stud dog ? I think not.

The boys can't do it all. Breed a good girl to them and you may get it all. Those dogs have given alot to the breed. To say they don't give this or that is just not right. Maybe not with your female. Others seem to have beautiful dogs from some of them. Thats why you need to go to the dog that will help your lines, not breed to the dog of the day ! The male can't do it all, I repeat.

Exhibitor
I have a boy that throws what you want but I think its against the rules to have such a conversation. It just seems like advertising stud dogs is what you are wanting.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

Remembering there is no perfect dog out there, i have to say that each stud dog i've used has produced differently for me, then they have for others.

So asking my opinion, is only asking my experience.

for example : Same bitch: 3 litters, 3 diff stud dogs.

Litter 1 : stud dog didn't give me all that i wanted. however, nice litter, got my keeper- and 2 Champions. same stud bred to my girl's mother, and got everything i wanted- LOL...ummm, i think 4 Champions and beautiful consistancy.

Litter 2 : loved the head on the pups...that's all they did for me though. had a keeper and ended up placing her. not what i wanted.

Litter 3 : LOVE my litter. Love the heads, love the personalities..got more substance and love the overall balance of the pups. consistancy throughout this litter.

Wasn't going to keep - but am now. and wish i could keep them all! but alas, we sold them and those families are anxiously awaiting!

My point...sometimes, you have to find the right combination. I love what i'm seeing in this litter, and will likely want to stay with this pedigree down the road. Having said that though, i have seen firsthand, someone who had bred to the same stud dog 3 times with the same bitch, and every litter was different from each other.

OOHHH...can share a picture on here somehow?? I got the most amazing picture of the pups i have now (they're all sold though so not an advertisement) - but i'm mighty proud of the shot i got when they were 5 1/2 weeks old. I will likely never get that same photo shot again. I just got the picture blown up to a larger size today and will frame it for my puppy room.

Yes, there 'is no fast lane' in this hobby, but I see nothing wrong with asking this question here, or similar questions, when someone is looking for a stud dog for their bitch. Yes, it's a public forum and who knows who the answers are coming from since they are mostly anonymous, but hey, it's food for thought. It doesn't mean that the person asking is going to breed to a dog based solely on the answer given here. Picking stud dogs involves a lot of time and effort and for the OP this may be part of that process.

shalane
Since my boy is mentioned in this post, I'm going to say this. I think those that come on here and ask questions about which stud dogs produce what , are actually looking for quick anwsers, because they think there is a fast lane in this hobby. Allow me to be the first to say, there is NO FAST LANE . The best part of this hobby is doing your own research, seeing puppies out of these dogs at specialties, seeing for yourself what they produce, and yes even making the wrong decision, but it was still your decision. If getting to the finish line ahead of everyone else is what you are after, this is not the hobby for you. Seriously, would anyone really do a breeding based on an anonomous posters opinion of a stud dog ? I think not.

Mason, Big Sky's Stone Cuuter (Paradocs Tabathas Stonehenge)
Rush, Hyspire Adrenaline Rush
Major, Windfalls Pipe Major
Caillou, Paradocs Tabathas Caillou
Sport, Tabatha Sport
Hawk(Knight son), Shalane fly by Knight
Robin, Wiscoys Robin.

Go to Paradocs, Tabathas or Dickendall.

You are only asking for the 50% of the equation, if your girl is small, with no bone and no head, you can breed her to XXXX and will improve what you are looking for in your bitch but just a bit, that is just the begining of what you want, then you keep a girl from that litter that got what you were looking for and breed her and so on and so on, and may be in 3 or 4 generations you will have what you want, will take years not a litter.

Thanks for the input and ideas. Basically what I had in mind but wanted to make sure I had not missed something out there.
Just to clarify my female is not small. I am looking just to add MORE size. I just feel more comfortable with my offspring being at the upper end of the standard than the lower. Alot of dogs I have seen lately in the ring seem to be getting smaller. JMO

Define smaller!!

define smaller = less substance, less depth of body, less bone and quite a few don't carry enough coat for me. way too moderate

:)
define smaller = less substance, less depth of body, less bone and quite a few don't carry enough coat for me. way too moderate

Where do you live? East, West, North, South? I'm seeing more of all you stated than ever, not less. I like a good sized Lab but there are other factors.

And let us not forget Beechcroft, Mary breeds for a balanced dog.

I haven't seen anyone mention that word, balance. Size is fine if you have balance along with it. What about better fronts? Some of the fronts out there on BISS girls and boys are terrible. Just size doesn't cut it but that's just my opinion.

There's a few dogs on the list that have not proven anything but numbers.

Where do you live? East, West, North, South?
eastern part of US
of course balance is most important and you cannot have type without balance. but a balanced dog without substance, bone and coat lacks TYPE in my opinion. bitches and dogs have become too moderate out here and many lack strong breed type

:)
Where do you live? East, West, North, South?
eastern part of US
of course balance is most important and you cannot have type without balance. but a balanced dog without substance, bone and coat lacks TYPE in my opinion. bitches and dogs have become too moderate out here and many lack strong breed type

I guess *out there* things are different than * here*......I don't see many dogs that you describe.

"without substance, bone and coat lacks TYPE in my opinion. bitches and dogs have become too moderate out here and many lack strong breed type"

I guess we live far away from each other. I rarely see too moderate. Come to Potomac and you'll see all you're looking for.

What is too mederate? This is supposed to be a moderate breed, so a lot of bone and substance is incorrect. Many of the males shown at specialties weigh close to or over 100 pounds, which is hardly a moderate dog. Unless you are at a specialty in the UK, it is difficult to find truly athletic, moderate dogs these days.

I have been pondering lately, since I do find it difficult to get size; and really nice rears (thigh, turn and angles) - do you think that the breed tries to "contain" itself to some moderation (ie in size) and also in balance - as far as rears go?

My stud dog shopping list is always in need of guys that have "chunky" rears and thighs, and I do find that I am still working on building up some (in size)..

So - what I'm asking is - does nature have it's framework already built for a Labrador?