Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breeding ????

There have been several threads about line-breeding with or back to the grandsire. I would like to know if it is the same result to line-breed back to the grand-mother? If she is a exceptional bitch would this be a good breeding or is it primary the grandsire that you would want to go back to?

Re: Breeding ????

If the bitch has proven herself - Why not!

Look at Ch. Lobuff's Turtle Dove, Pipeline Zelda, Ch. Ballyduff Lark, BISS BPIS Am.Can.Ch. Chablais Myrtille -- all proven bitches in my opinion

One would have to know the lines behind the dogs real well (Both the good and the bad). I personally would not even think of doing it unless I bred at least 3, if not more generations behind the bitch. And yes, both dogs should be great examples of the breed.

A lot would depend on the age of the bitch. It is hard to determine how exceptional a young bitch is and then to breed back to her with a grandson would put her at a more advanced age.

A lot would depend on the age of the bitch.

That was along the lines of what i was going to say. I reason the opposite is seldom done is that by the time a bitch has had a grandson that has proven himself to be sound and worth breeding to it is unlikely she will still be young enough to have a litter. If you bred her right after she had her final clearances and then bred a son or daughter as soon as they got final clearances, and then got final clearances on the grandson, 6 years minimum would have passed, and your grandmother will be 8 years old. Even if you bred a son and grandson on prelims, she would be 6 or 7 years old.