Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My name change

I recently got married and am in the process of all the name changing that goes with it. Is there a way to change my name on all my AKC registrations without transferring all my dogs from me to me?

Re: My name change

Don't change your name,

Call AKC

Oh, you have no idea! The thought has definately crossed my mind...not only do I have to change my name, but I moved into my new hubby's house which is in New York State. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and still work there. I think the NY DMV is out to get me...I've been there twice so far without success, you'd think they wanted my firstborn son in order to get a NY driver's license and registration.

I think when you talk to the AKC, they are going to tell you to do nothing. I notice in a lot of show catalogs, the names of people I know to be now divorced or re-married, and their names are still listed the same way in the catalog as what their status was when the dog was originally registered.

Going forward, the AKC may tell you to use your "new" name, but for what is already out there, they may say no change is required. Of course for registering litters, you may have to use a combination solution i.e. if you were Sue Black before when the sire or dam was registered, but are Sue Grey now, you may have to sign litter registrations as Sue Black Grey, so the AKC records will have continuity of ownership.

This is why I never changed my name. It's way too much work if you get married after you have a DL, SSN, jobs, bank accounts, insurances, loans, credit cards etc...

Send AKC an e-mail and explain the situation. They will take care of it.

I notified them after I moved to a different area, and they changed the address on all my dogs for their records.

I emailed the AKC not too long ago with a problem I was having with their website. 4 times over 2 weeks. I couldn't log in for some reason and was close to having fits about it, and they never once gave me a response. I'll probably call them and see if they can help me out and direct me as to what I need(or need not) do.