Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone else having trouble with Minitube extender?

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day - we had both lost litters due to uterine infections shortly before birth, plus another person who experienced the same situation as well. All litters were the produced using Minitube extender (several different stud dogs in different parts of the country) - and none of us have been around the other. So we were wondering if others have had any issues lately? Maybe a contaminated batch of extender?

Just very odd and coincidental.

Re: Anyone else having trouble with Minitube extender?

I just whelped a litter of 7 last night thanks to Minitube 5. We only did one shipment and breeding at that. Still works here.

I've just done numerous recent breedings/stud service using Chill 5 and all girls are now confirmed preggers. Throughout the year with stud service, no issue either.

Oh - we had confirmed pregnancies, just that the puppies died for some reason, soon before whelping. The only common denominator that we could find is the Minitube. But it probably doesn't have anything to do with it, just makes me wonder if there was some issue with a batch or something.

Just had 3 stud services on two boys using Chill 5... all three bitches are confirmed pregnant

You're not listening! I didn't say the bitches didn't get pregnant - I said they lost their puppies at/before birth due to infection. Please comment on that, not whether the bitch got pregnant.

Breeder
I've just done numerous recent breedings/stud service using Chill 5 and all girls are now confirmed preggers. Throughout the year with stud service, no issue either.

I posted the quote above. Not one single time since I started using Chill 5 has anything close to that happened. In fact, I would call Mini Tube and ask them because IF something were wrong with a batch, the sperm would not extend but rather die. Hence, there would not even be a pregnancy.

I have had a bitch resorb numerous years ago (twice and this was before Chill 5 was out) and I know this can happen although not frequently. I can't imagine extender has anything to do with this, be it Chill 5, Chill 10 or even Camelot or Clone extenders.

Sorry you lost the litter.

have a lovely 3 week old litter of 9 - used chill 5 :)

Breeder
Breeder

I posted the quote above. Not one single time since I started using Chill 5 has anything close to that happened. In fact, I would call Mini Tube and ask them because IF something were wrong with a batch, the sperm would not extend but rather die. Hence, there would not even be a pregnancy.

I have had a bitch resorb numerous years ago (twice and this was before Chill 5 was out) and I know this can happen although not frequently. I can't imagine extender has anything to do with this, be it Chill 5, Chill 10 or even Camelot or Clone extenders.

Sorry you lost the litter.