Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Difference between male and female butts?

Here's one I can't answer - I only have females:

"My male dog has a weird looking anus - it looks puffed out around the hole, but not red or sore or anything, and he doesn't fuss at it. It's different than our female's anus; hers is sunken-in looking, like a belly button. This is the wrinkled skin part I'm talking about, not where the fur is."

How do I answer this one? Do many males have puffy areas around this area? My females don't???

Re: Difference between male and female butts?

check his prostate...is he an in tact male who has never been collected/used....perhaps his prostate fluid is "backed up"...have someone do a collection & "clean him out"...not to be gross but i have seen the difference....dog is more comfortable too.

Or he could be one of those dogs who waits to go poop till he is desperate...so there is a lot of built up "pressure" from that....does he get off the property ever...some dogs get sick of going in the yard and want to be taken off campus to poop. Just some ideas for you.

I really think they are just talking about the "pinkness" of the area looking much larger on the male than the female-nothing wrong with the dog. I have seen this in MANY yellow males, infact, get this, my cousin questioned his vet about why the "area" was expanding because he did not like the way it "looked". The vet told him it was due to him being intact. ??????
Some boys just have larger anal areas than girls and even other boys -you of course see it on the yellows.
JMO

It is some how common to see males with big anuses like a doughnut. It is the testosterone.
It is not pretty, but it is normal.

Thanks for the thoughts - it actually makes sense to me about the hormonal difference.

I'll send forward your info/opinions!

I remember my young male and thinking, what an ugly butth.... Over the years, it seems to have matured and with better coat, looks normal. If the dog is not in distress or is comfortable, must be normal for him.

How do I answer this one? Do many males have puffy areas around this area?

I think it's just more muscly 'cos the boys to lots more winking and they use their 'turd eye' for this when the girl dogs are checking out their butts.