Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Evo raw verses Taste of the Wild

Has anyone used any of the Evo varieties of dry raw dog food or any of the Taste of the Wild dry varieties? I would like to move my dog to a low carb diet, which both of these brands offer. The problem is every manufacturer keeps switching their foods' ingredients and the percentages of them, so it is hard to keep track of what might be a better choice. I also know Taste of the Wild had a recall at one point, which does not thrill me.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with recent experience using either of these foods; good or bad.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Re: Evo raw verses Taste of the Wild

Innova EVO and Timberwolf are both good DRY not raw dog foods. Timberwolf is overpriced, EVO is excellent but can make your dog fat if your dog is a couch potato.
I think a better option is any of the Petcurean dog foods, they are excellent, lo carb and moderate calories. Also Taste Of The Wild Buffalo is a low calorie option.
I love Orijen but it is very expensive, I feed raw but there are several excellent options out there that are grain free and healthy.

I used to feed Evo, but I switched over to Taste of the Wild only because of the price. I feed the fish one and my dogs do very well on it. The price is spendy on both, but I'm not going to the store as often to pick up dog food. The TOTW is 1.5# bigger and the kibble is little bigger than EVO.

Donna

I feed Evo, both kibble and canned versions, and like it the best of the grain-free diets. You do have to feed slightly less, about 1/4C less per feeding, because the calorie count per cup is higher due to the quality ingredients (no cheap filler). It's not going to make your dog fat!

Check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com, which gives Evo 6 stars (their highest rating) and it certainly gets my recommendation too.

I have fed Evo Red Meat (small bites) for about 4 or 5 years now. All of my dogs do extremely well on it....even my oldies who are 13 and 14 years. I have yearly blood panels done on them and all is normal. You have to feed less because they can gain weight on it. I feed 1/2 to 3/4 cups twice daily (also add small amount of goodies on top...yougurt, veggies, mackeral, berries, cottage cheese). My puppies are on Orijen Lg Breed until they are about a year old...then I switch to Evo. I prefer the small bites because my dogs are fast eaters and I feel the smaller bites are less likely to choke them compared to the large bites. I considered Timberwolf but after the first recall I decided to stay away....can't take the chance.