Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Collars

I am getting ready to go to PetSmart and have a question. My litter will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I have my usual 5 yellow boys...in the past I have shaved spots on them to tell them apart. This time we are taking pictures to send out. Is everyone comfortable leaving puppy collars on the puppies when you are not around to keep an eye on them?

Re: Puppy Collars

Debi JMO - take the collars off please! Not worth running the risk of a problem. Love to see the pups' pictures - are they on your website?

The only photo on my website is when they were a few hours old. Will update soon.

Tks - will check for an update later this week/next.

Shaving is probably the easiest, as long as you do the right side on the picks and re-shave often! Some folks paint nails--some just use one color and switch paws. Others use different colors, which is easier to tell apart if memory fails and as it wears off. Wiggly puppies are hard to polish, in my experience.

I have had dams eat rick rack and pull off the velcro collars. Even break away collars can get pups hung up. Have known folks that had horrible accidents with the clip on or buckle collars. Others do fine--might just be good luck. Please take the collars off when you are not around--trust your instincts on this.

Enjoy your pups!

Hmm....MAYBE give them different hair cuts & colored too?! Those would definitely be pictures to see!!

there's a recent thread on puppy collars
everyone has their own opinion.

I used ric rac for the first 10 years then switched to Velcro color strips collars the past 10 years.
they stay on well but will release with pressure.

you need to keep an eye on them daily for adjustment.

I heard someone used the loops of material that we used in Girl Scouts to make potholders. They are stretchy and sounded pretty nice. Any comments?

Hmm my sister and niece are stylist....maybe I should give them a call and do some pretty hair colors on the pups!!

I will do my usual shaved spots. I will make up a card to put on the table when we take pictures so I will know who is who!

Halloween is coming Debi!

I just put a dab of nail polish on the fur. Red for girls (shoulder, back, left arm etc) and blue for boys. I would be a nervous wreck if I had anything tied around their necks.

I can just see it now....with my luck we would put pretty colors on them and the puppy I kept..the darn color wouldn't come off! I could just see me in the ring with a Lab puppy with a colored Mohawk!!

Shave spots?? I have used collars for years and have had LOTS of litters with no trouble whatsoever. I used to use nailpolish until they were 3-4 weeks old, but having to reapply it so often really wasn't my cup of tea I use yarn or ric rack until they are 3-4 weeks old and switch to small puppy collars.