Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teeth Chattering in male puppy

Hi Everyone!

I have a nine month old male puppy - my first male - and over the last week or so, he has started a behavior where his teeth chatter and he drools. Is this a male thing??? Also, he is excited all the time! Will this happen less as he matures and is eventually neutered?

Thanks!

Re: Teeth Chattering in male puppy

Do you have a bitch in heat? One in the area?

He's my only dog. There could be a bitch in heat in the neighborhood. It does have to do with being a male?

I have a girl who chatters with anticipation while waiting for her breakfast. Sounds like she has hypothermia!

So it sounds like it must be an excitement thing, not a male thing! My girls never did anything like this! I'm clueless when it comes to male behaviors!

My 6 year old girl has always done this in anticipation of her meals. It cracks me up

I have males that do this same thing. It seems they do it when they get excited about a female scent. Or they smell something they are not used to. IMHO I feel it is in relation to a scent.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. This is such a wonderful forum to be able to come to for help.

Yes, I have had a couple of males to do it. And it is when a girl is near heat. None of the girls.

Someone once told me it is called "claquer des dents" or clacking the teeth. . . excuse the French:)

I had a boy that did this everytime he smelled where the girls had peed !! Too funny......he would chatter his teeth almost trance like.....wishful thinking on his part.