Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hair Loss after Whelping

I really need help. I have a dog that after whelping, lost her coat. I am having trouble getting it looking good again.

Does anyone have any help that they can share? I am hoping to get her in a show in december but I don't know if she will make it with her coat so thin. She has no undercoat, and she is almost bald.

Does anyone have any hair growing remedy?

Re: Hair Loss after Whelping

This isn't unusual at all and with good food & time, her coat will come back. You may not make the show in December though - JMO

Hi-
My girl whelped in June and she became almost bald (much to my dismay)after I weaned the pups. However, she now has a gorgeous coat...just in time for shows. So, be patient. It will come. I did put her outside in the evenings when it is cooler to encourage the growth of her coat and she is on a good food.
A

In addition to quality food, I add an egg a day and flax oil and stimulate skin by brushing with rubber curry comb (for horses). I do notice that mine who choose to swim daily get coat back faster. I wonder if it is the cold water that does that?

I am feeding Chicken Soup For the Pet Lovers Soul (Large Breed) and I have been putting her out all day in the kennel where the temperature is around 60F. But I didn't think about taking her swimming. Maybe I will take her in the ocean, which is cold but it also has a healing effect.

I could also give her an egg.

She also got a bit of a bacterial infection on her back which she is on antibiotics for, if there anything I could rub on it, or do you think the swimming might fix that as well.

JMO - if she doesn't have much coat, I doubt she'd enjoy a cold swim much! Could be that with the infection and meds, it'll take longer for her coat to come back. Patience please!

You might try OxyDex shampoo for the skin infection, but only once, then let it dry. I would not swim her every day with a skin infection.

I begin adding a handful of raw hamburger to the bitches food once a day before breeding and through gestation and until a week or two after the pups leave. I discovered years ago that they don't blow their coat at all. I use ground chuck. It may help to add some now to put coat back on. It seemed logical as canines in the wild are raw meat eaters.