Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Those feeding Orijen....

How many cups a day is your lab getting? And how old is the dog?
My female gets 1.5 cups a day right now, she's almost 10 months, but I want to bump her up to 2 for just a slight weight gain, and was just wondering what others are doing when it comes to this food.

Re: Those feeding Orijen....

I have two 8 month old pups....they are eating 1 cup three times a day of the Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

I don't feed Orijen, but 1.5 cups a day for a 10 month old does not seem like enough food. She will not grow to her full potential if you don't feed her.

Hi, I have two 4 1/2 month olds that are on 3 1/2 to 4 cups per day....I feed the LB formula till they're about 14 months old. I have a 10 1/2 month old who's also getting about 4 cups, but my 16 month old is on 5 cups...I judge each dog individually, some I find need more till they're completely done growing...all my adults average 3 to 4 cups.

In my opinion even 2 cups is not enough food, especially for a growing dog. Good luck with your girl.

I'd up her a bit, though in my lines I tend to be reducing the amount of food I feed at about 10-12 months.

1.5 cups three times a day sounds like a good amount.

I've never fed a puppy more than 1.5 cups/meal of Orijen (even the larger males); people unfamiliar with conformation type Labradors are always telling me I need to take some weight off of them! LOL!

Seriously, Orijen keeps bloom, substance and bone on my puppies as they grow - better than any other food I've used over the years. And I feed less than with other foods! Now, it may be my lines that the food jives well with - others' experiences may be different.

As examples of amounts fed - my spayed bitches get between 1.5 and 2 cups/day. They range in weight and activity levels, from 60 to 75 lbs. Intact bitches run at 2 to 3 cups/day, weights the same. Males slightly heavier/larger - 3 cups/day. Current ages range from 10 years to 15 months. I go from 3 meals/day down to 2 when puppies are between 6 to 8 months, depending on growth rate; I cut back on amount of food by about a year old or so. With a quality food, the maturation process lays on the heavier muscling and substance, not increased amounts of food that lay on fat.

Along with the above amounts of kibble, I do top dress with canned (tripe or other food) on the evening meal, about 1/8 can per dog.

Once my youngsters get to be 6 months old and start going through the gangly stage, I up their food intake to 4 cups a day, split up between 2 meals. I can't stand that " Weedy " stage. My youngsters can eat 4 cups of the Taste of The Wild and hold a good weight but when they are going through a growth spurt, it seems they need more food, no matter the brand or quality.

4 1/2 month old pups in pet homes on 3 - 3 1/2 cups per day of LB pup formula.

My adults 3 and 6 eat 1 cup 2x/day and maintain their weight at 72 lbs. or so.

I forgot to say that in addition to three cups a day( Orijen LB)......I add a tablespoon of yogurt, pumpkin, mackeral, green beans,salmon, cottage cheese , tripe or a grain free canned food on top of each meal. They aso get small biscuits or diced hot dogs for training....all in all this is plenty of food for a puppy.

I currently have two of my girls on Orijen Fish. One of them is 7 years old and is eating 1.5 cups daily. She's not very active and gains weight easily. My other girl is a field bred dog (4 y/o) that I run hunt tests with, so she trains several times a week. She eats a bit less than 2.5 cups a day - the least amount of food I have ever fed her. When she was eating ProPlan Performance she required 3.5 to 4 cups daily to maintain her weight.

Our 6 yr old, 3 yr old and 10 yr old labs are getting 2-2.5 cups/day of the Senior. Our 3 month old lab pup is getting about the same of the LB puppy. All get a dollop of pumpkin once a day and cookies for training. Our 5 yr old OEM eats 5-6 cups/day. All are doing great and have been on Orijen 4+ years.

Thanks all. She really looks fine on the 1.5 cups/day, I can just barley feel her ribs, but I'd like just a little more to her, she also gets green beans and pumpkin with each meal, and I may introduce some yogurt soon as well. She's 72 lbs. I'm going to bump her to 2 cups a day, just wanted to make sure that seemed like an okay amount. The Orijen is great and really you can feed a whole lot less and still get the same results with a food you feed more of, so I like that. I do feed the 6 Fish.

987R

Breeder
Thanks all. She really looks fine on the 1.5 cups/day, I can just barley feel her ribs, but I'd like just a little more to her, she also gets green beans and pumpkin with each meal, and I may introduce some yogurt soon as well. She's 72 lbs. I'm going to bump her to 2 cups a day, just wanted to make sure that seemed like an okay amount. The Orijen is great and really you can feed a whole lot less and still get the same results with a food you feed more of, so I like that. I do feed the 6 Fish.

I think each puppy is a little different. I have a 7 month old male and his sister that get 2 cups 2x/day of the regular puppy formula. They are both very active and not fat. The adult males get 2 cups 2x/day and the females get 1.5 twice a day. The spayed girls get 1 cup twice a day and they're not lacking in weight. I've tried quite a few grain free foods but the Orijen has worked the best for me. I also switch off to their Acana brand which is less pricey but have also had good results.

Re: Orijen

I found that all my dogs were maintaining well on even less than they did on the Cal Nat. I have my puppies on the LB formula now, though I did give their mom Reg Puppy while nursing and the litter the reg puppy until they were about 3 1/2 months, then I switched them to the LB.
They are 6 months old now and my 2 girls get 2- 2 1/2 cups twice a day and my male gets 3 cups twice a day. I did up them a little bit over the last month, they were getting 1 1/2 -2 cups twice a day and I wanted to add just a little more on them. I love how they are growing on the food, nice and even. The girls weigh about 58# and the male is about 68#. It's nice not to have to feed huge amount to put any more weight on. I am keeping them in good weight, though the hardest to keep track of is our small dogs, you almost have to count out the kibbles to feed them or they will gain easily.

My most active adult male gets 4 cups of 6 Fish a day total ,he's 95# and he runs quite a bit.The others are also really active and most of my girls are around 72-74# and are all on the Adult they get about 1+ cup twice a day, my not quite 2 year olds get 1 1/2 twice a day. My oldest dogs have done very well on it, I noticed an improvement in their skin.

I also appreciate that the stools are formed and they seem to go less often than they used to. We noticed with this litter that the puppies only went 3 times a day, and the stools were firm not mushy at all and that was from the time they started on the Orijen kibble. This is also the first litter where we had no, not one,none, nein, accidents in the house ever and there are 3 puppies we kept!!

Are you people measuring the "cup" level? I am using Orijen 6 fish for adults, puppy for the little ones. They are eating 4-5 cups for adults, maybe 1 cup 3X day for each puppy= that is from a 3 cup measuring scoop.

I use measuring cups to scoop my food. I use a 1 cup measure for dogs that eat 1 cup, 3/4 cup measure for those that eat 3/4 cup, etc. A couple of my dogs are really easy keepers so I have to be really careful about the amount I feed. I don't eyeball anything.